FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 60i to 24p for delivery

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cameron Taylor
Converting 60i to 24p for delivery
on Dec 27, 2014 at 1:45:22 am

We have received a series of videos that are now being sold overseas and need to be converted to PAL. We have two sets of videos that need to be converted, there are 10 that are mastered in 24p and 5 that are mastered at 60i. After a long series of tests, we have found that the 24p videos convert to 25 quite well...but the 60i videos have some obvious issues.

My question...is there a way to take the 60i videos and convert them to 24p in FCPX? Simply converting the final video doesn't work so I have the original projects and am hoping to convert the raw footage first. However, I'm not 100% familiar with FCPX - I'm used to Avid.

This is close to what I want to do in Avid - perhaps some of you could point me in the right direction on how to do this in FCPX:

Media manage the final timeline to another one. Convert the raw footage from the new managed timeline from 60i to 24p using either After Effects, Media Encoder or Compressor (haven't tested this yet, so I'm not sure what I will use) then relink the files to the conformed 24p files. Give or take a step or two.

Please let me know if I'm making this too complicated...not complicated enough...or if I'm just simply crazy. Thanks in advance.

CT

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Converting 60i to 24p for delivery
on Dec 27, 2014 at 6:35:23 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Dec 27, 2014 at 6:38:35 pm

[Cameron Taylor] "...but the 60i videos have some obvious issues. "
I'm not sure what "obvious" issues you ran into but converting 60i to 24p (also known as Inverse or Reverse Telecine) is a very common and well understood conversion that works flawlessly.

Have you tried using Apple Compressor 4? Create a render template in Compressor and change the Frame Rate to 23.976 and set the Retiming Quality to Reverse Telecine. That should produce the output you want.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]