FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray from FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Blu-ray from FCP X?
on Dec 22, 2014 at 9:12:45 pm

Here's the challenge: the program was built on a new MacPro in X. It's about an hour and fifty minutes in length. There is no Blu-ray burner attached to this new Mac Pro.

The Blu-ray burner is in a 2008 Mac Pro, so the files need to be exported from the New Mac Pro over to old one for burning. So far, no combination has worked.

1) Sharing from FCP X out to the disk image that it makes... Toast 9 doesn't recognize it.

2) The files in the disk image look like the standard two files that you see on a Blu-ray disk, so I used Toast 9 in Data Mode and burned those two files to a Blu-ray disc. That works but the Blu-ray players see it as an unsupported type.

3) Exported from FCP X into an MOV. Took that over to the other Mac Pro... it starts, then gives me an error. I'm guessing it's the file size, since I got a short 5 minute file to work this way.

4) Sent from FCP X to Compressor and created files for a Blu-ray. Couldn't get Toast 9 to want to do anything with them.

5) Exported the Chapters in FCP X out to individual Pro-res files. Dropped two of them into Toast 9 as a test. It encoded the two files, then "errored out" with some kind of block size problem during the actual burning. The disc is partially burned, but failed.

So, my question is, has anyone gotten this to successfully work on a longer project. If so, what steps were used so I can some how get this done?

Both Macs are running Mavericks (current) and current versions of FCP X, Compressor, etc.

If I thought going to Toast 12 would help, I'd do that. Would even be willing to get a USB 3 external Blu-ray burner to put on the new Mac Pro if that would work. I'd just like to hear that somebody has had success doing this first.

Thanks to anyone who can help...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
Re: Blu-ray from FCP X?
on Dec 22, 2014 at 11:45:55 pm

have you tried burning the image with disk utility?
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5824

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 23, 2014 at 1:25:30 am

Thanks... Can't seem to get that link to open... just get a white page?

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:23:34 am

adding a burner to the new Mac Pro is what you want. FCPX has been capable of making BluRays for years.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 23, 2014 at 2:02:32 pm

[Noah Kadner] "adding a burner to the new Mac Pro is what you want. FCPX has been capable of making BluRays for years."

I haven't had the occasion recently, but I knew it was in Share. I have read that some players don't like the discs that Apple creates, but as I said I haven't tried it directly from FCP X before. Clearly, having it show up directly in Share is a very elegant solution.

So now, the trick is to figure out who's external Blu-ray player to buy? Anybody have one that they like? I see a couple of third party ones with panasonic internals...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 23, 2014 at 3:07:54 pm

I've never heard of problems with Apple Blue-Rays. Give it a try. I have the previous version of the $78 Samsung USB burner on Amazon.

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
on Dec 23, 2014 at 8:04:41 am

link works for me... here's the text:

You can use Disk Utility to burn a disk image on a recordable CD or DVD disc. You might do this to make a backup copy of your files, which you can use to restore the files to a disk. You can also use CDs and DVDs to move files from one computer to another or to send them to other people.

To burn a disc, you need an optical drive in your computer or connected directly to your computer. You can’t burn a disc using a remote optical drive.

1. Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
2. Select the disk image if it appears in the list at the left, and then click Burn in the toolbar.
Otherwise, click Burn in the toolbar, and then select a disk image in the dialog that appears.

3. Insert a recordable CD or DVD disc into the optical drive, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 23, 2014 at 2:03:31 pm

I could be mistaken, but I think that only works with CD or DVD... not Blu-ray. I'll have to try that though, to find out... thanks!

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 24, 2014 at 3:52:00 pm

[Mitch Ives] "I could be mistaken, but I think that only works with CD or DVD... not Blu-ray. I'll have to try that though, to find out... thanks!"
It works for Blu-ray too.

I just tried it. I exported to Blu-ray using my Hard Drive as the Output Device and it created a Blu-ray image file (*.img) which I then used Disk Utility to burn to a BD-RE on the internal Blu-ray drive in my 2010 Mac Pro. The resulting disc plays fine on my standalone Toshiba Blu-ray player.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:40:35 pm

Why not export a Prores movie (with Chapter Marks) from the new MacPro, bring that to the old MacPro, and burn a disk from FCPX or Compressor on the old MacPro?

It even builds simple menus.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 28, 2014 at 11:54:30 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. As it turns out I ended up taking a lot of your suggestions.

Noah is right, the solution is a burner on the nMP. Now I just need to find a USB 3 model that is recognized by the Mac OS without needing a third party program like Toast..

Marco and John were right about using Disk Utility to burn the disk image, which I did using the old machine with the burner.

Jeremy's suggestion probably works, but by then I had tried the Disk Utility trick.

In the end, it appears that if you need one disc, use Share to burn directly to the disc. If you need several, it seems like it's faster to burn the disk image to the HD, and then use Disk Utility to burn repeated discs...

Thanks everyone...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]