FORUMS: list search recent posts

smooth out a juddery pans in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Lithman
smooth out a juddery pans in FCPX
on Dec 19, 2014 at 1:49:22 pm

I have some footage that was shot on a relatively cheap camera @ HDV 1080p 25. Any shot that was taken while on a tripod and involves slowly panning let or right has a horrible judder to it.

Does anyone know of any filters or techniques that can smooth this out a little...?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: smooth out a juddery pans in FCPX
on Dec 19, 2014 at 6:54:05 pm

Did you already try Inspector>Video>Stabilization?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 19, 2014 at 7:03:56 pm

What Noah said. Plus look for the "tripod" option inside the stabilization area. It's specifically coded to handle movement on just the horizontal axis.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ben Lithman
on Dec 19, 2014 at 7:10:55 pm

Just to clarify, it's not that the cameraman was being un smooth when filming. It seems to be more todo with a cheap camera, recording in progressive, just looks Juddery/staggery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 19, 2014 at 7:37:47 pm

This is perfectly normal for any 24p and 25p - and even some 30p - material. Make sure you are editing in a 25p timeline and that you are monitoring in 25p or 50i. The effect will be more or less obtrusive, depending on the speed of the horizontal motion and/or the quality of the motion blur induced by the shutter angle of the camera. Cheap cameras tend to have fixed shutter angles that yield crisp images in motion, which makes judder look even worse.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:33:49 pm

Another factor is any 24/25fps pan that is too fast will judder. The American Cinematographer Manual has a chart for a 90 degree pan relating lens focal length, fps and panning speed. For instance, 24fps, 50mm should take 23 seconds for a 90 degree pan.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 19, 2014 at 9:48:57 pm

Yep.

I don't think it has anything to do with the camera. With pans at 24/25/30 P you either have to be really fast (think whip pans) or slow no matter how good the camera. The in-between speeds simply don't work. You could play around with speeding up or slowing down the pan with optical flow.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 19, 2014 at 11:18:22 pm

And there's a button for rolling shutter that works wonders. Right under stabilization. Sounds like it could be the issue.

Return to posts index

Ben Lithman
on Dec 21, 2014 at 5:32:59 pm

I can't say either the stabilisation or rolling shutter settings are making much difference. The "tripod mode" option is also greyed out...
Have rendered, of course.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Dec 20, 2014 at 12:42:18 pm

In the past, I experienced some similar problem that I found was field priority related. You write you shot in progressive mode, but I happened to have footage that was misinterpreted in FCP. Maybe it's not, but it could be worth a try.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2014 MacBook Pro Retina, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.9.4

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 21, 2014 at 5:54:30 pm

[Ben Lithman] "I have some footage that was shot on a relatively cheap camera @ HDV 1080p 25. Any shot that was taken while on a tripod and involves slowly panning let or right has a horrible judder to it.

Does anyone know of any filters or techniques that can smooth this out a little...?"

You can try FCP X built-in optical flow smoothing. This requires slightly retiming the clip (which could be just 99% or 101%). Select clip then pick menu Modify->Retime->Custom Speed, and pick 99% or 101%. Then Modify->Retime->Video Quality->Optical Flow. See if that helps any.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 29, 2014 at 2:46:57 pm

If the Apple option isn't working, you might try Lock & Load... it's fixed things that the built in options in FCP X couldn't...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]