FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Mixing in FCP X for Dummies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Dechtiar
Sound Mixing in FCP X for Dummies
on Dec 19, 2014 at 6:57:49 am

I've read that there is a way to do a full sound mix within FCP X by creating Compound Clips for each type of audio (dialogue, music, effects, etc) and then applying certain filters to each of those clips as you would to separate tracks in a sound mixing software.

That concept is simple enough to understand, but is there a tutorial somewhere that covers the basics of sound mixing for someone like myself who is primarily an editor? I'm very comfortable with sound editing, but I know very little about what filters to apply to what in order to achieve a good sound mix.

I know there are ways to export OMF or AAF through the use of apps like X2Pro, but I have honestly found those solutions to be very buggy and resulting in many different problems (adding audio fades where there aren't supposed to be any, just to name one).

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: Sound Mixing in FCP X for Dummies
on Dec 19, 2014 at 1:54:49 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Dec 19, 2014 at 1:55:44 pm

I think a better method might be to export your final edit as Quicktime with Audio split into roles. Then import that into a new project and Detach Audio to get individual tracks.

Also I'd say if you don't know what you want to do with it, you might be better off just mixing via the individual clips. The primary effect people apply at the track level would be compression to increase loudness. However, if not done right it can also muddy up dialogue and make it actually less intelligible. Then EQ, often to boost highs.

Other corrections are better done at the clip level, like noise reduction (if you don't have iZotope RX4 consider getting it), and EQ matching between clips.

People making 30 second ads or promos want to hype the sound quite a bit, so there is liberal use of compression and EQ. However, mixing a 60 minute documentary is another matter, a hyped sound wears thin very quickly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]