FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smaller than Proxy?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Dechtiar
Smaller than Proxy?
on Dec 19, 2014 at 6:45:47 am

Is there a way to create Proxy Media that is even smaller, and can be media managed independently from the Original Media? I'm thinking something more akin to FCP 7's media managed JPEG Offline files.

Often times I need to send another editor a version of the media that is small enough to be sent over FTP. The editor will then edit with that footage, send me back a project, at which point I reconnect to the high res versions of the clips on my end.

But the Proxy Media for an entire Library is usually not small enough to be sent via FTP. Not only that, but as far as I know, it cannot be sent independently from the Original Media that is associated with it.

So is there a way I can create smaller proxy media, either:
1. Within FCP X
2. through Compressor 4
3. or a third-party plugin

One work-around I thought of is to place all the clips for a limited section of footage (such as an interview) on a sequence, then export a very small file (for example, 640x360 H.264 low quality), then place that small file on top of the same sequence, and create a Compound Clip. An XML can then be shared with the second editor, along with the small exported file. The second editor will be missing the Original Media, but he should be able to work with the Compound Clip if he disables the missing media within it. Once he's done editing, he sends an XML back to the first editor, who will then disable the low res file inside the Compound Clip and enable the Original Media instead.

I'm about to test this with a current project, so I'll report back as to its effectiveness. But I think this would only work in certain situations, and is not realistic to create these Compound Clips for an entire Library that contains several hours of B-roll. For one, it would limit the way B-roll can be viewed and selected through the Clip Browser.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]