FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow - AVCHD to DVD but without optimised footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Thomas
Workflow - AVCHD to DVD but without optimised footage?
on Dec 18, 2014 at 12:01:15 pm

Am I doing something wrong? I am an enthusiast and I have a few Panasonic prosumer camcorders with which I shoot basic AVCHD and ultimately I burn DVDs - which people tell me look just fine.

When importing I have “Leave files in place” checked and I create Proxy files ONLY as obviously these work well for my multicam editing on my new MacBook Pro. I used to create optimised files too (someone told me to) but they don’t seem to do anything for me - am I wrong? Should I be creating optimised files too? If so, where in my workflow would they come into play?

Many thanks in advance!

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 17". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Workflow - AVCHD to DVD but without optimised footage?
on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:50:17 am

Just remember to switch back to Original when you're done.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Dec 19, 2014 at 9:13:46 am

OK, many thanks for that but the funny thing is that when I use Share (to create a 'Master File' from which I go on to author the DVD iso) and I leave the 'Media' still on 'Proxy' it creates as follows:

Dimensions: 1920 x 1080
Codecs: Apple ProRes 422, Linear PCM, Timecode
Color profile: HD (1-1-1)

Have I just been lucky with this workflow?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 20, 2014 at 10:34:01 am

FCPX will create a final file based on your project settings, however if you don't switch from proxy back to original / optimised media the output will be based on upscaled quarter res proxy files, not the full-res original footage.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Dec 20, 2014 at 11:39:15 am

OK, thanks for that Jeff. I never realised that I wouldn't be getting the best possible output although in my case, as my end product is DVDs, would it have made much of a difference?

I made a small test project (5' 16") just now and when Sharing a Master based on Original/Optimised and Better Quality it produced a file that was 4.69 GB. The same with Proxy clicked produced one which was only 1.53 GB.

Noah: I'm just an enthusiast but now I see you meant "...switch back to Original when you're done editing, before Sharing" yes?

Finally, it looks as if in my case I still don't need to create Optimised footage? I just want to be sure :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]