FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making Screen Captures Look Sexier

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony Bui
Making Screen Captures Look Sexier
on Dec 14, 2014 at 7:57:31 pm

Hey Creative Cow,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I use FCPX for everything I figured I'd start here.

What are some ways to make screen captures look more dynamic? I do work for software companies where showing the product in action usually means screen capturing it. Currently, I rely on the "3D Perspective" plugin from FCPeffects.com which lets you take a screen capture and rotate it, pan, tilt, rack focus, etc.

Is there anything else? For example, this video for "Chartcube" by Sandwich video:

They've taken elements from the software and turned them into a 3D element in the video. Could I do something similar with a screen capture?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Making Screen Captures Look Sexier
on Dec 14, 2014 at 10:35:30 pm

You can always separate out the pointer into 3d etc but only so much you can really do...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Dec 15, 2014 at 3:15:04 am

Yeah, generally it's not about "eye candy" like in your example, but a situation where the client really wants to SEE what's in that screen capture.

I like using Motion, put the screen in 3D perspective, camera very close to the captured image. Dramatic angles, you know. Then pan the camera over the screen cap slowly, while the cap slowly rotates in 3D perspective beneath, and "swish pan" the camera to the next area of the screen that's important. Have motion blur turned on, and it'll look very nice as the camera re-po's for the next VO bit.

Return to posts index

Antony Bui
on Dec 15, 2014 at 9:46:25 pm

Ah, I did not consider the "swish pan". I will definitely give that a shot.

True, in most instances it is about actually seeing what's going on and 3D perspective is good for that. Still, I am open to techniques that obscure the action but still show the user interface. Like if there's a Motion VFX template that's based around web pages flying around or something. I just need something to add a little variety.

Thanks for your response!

I quit my job to make videos for tech startups.
See for yourself: http://www.antonybui.weebly.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]