FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony XAVC plugin

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Sony XAVC plugin
on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:17:22 pm

I have a theory..

With 10.1.4 you should be able to import MXF material with out transcode.

So I would have thought that would allow me to copy a card from my F55, and import it leaving the files in place. But that doesn't work as FCP X sees the cards as XAVC plugin.

What if the XAVC plugin was getting in the way and seeing the card first as it where?

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Anyone know where the XAVC plugin lives so I can remove it and see what happens?

Michael

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Sony XAVC plugin
on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:25:52 pm

It's been a while but try:

Hard Drive > Library > Application Support > ProApps > Plugins

or

Hard Drive > Library > Application Support > ProApps > MIO > RAD folder

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:33:39 pm

Thanks - found it!

Well I deleted the XDcam Format RADplug and it seems to work. Imports straight away and leaves files in place..

Can anyone comment on if this is a good idea or not.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:34:11 pm

Presumably same would apply for Canon MXF plugin?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:42:09 pm

I have used MXF4mac for a long time, so I uninstalled plugins a long time ago. Canon footage does work without installing anything extra in FCPX 10.1.4, so yes, if you want to use Canon MXF footage, you may have to uninstall the plugin.

I don't see a reason why you wouldn't do this. It is one less useless copy of the material, you can still create Optimized or Proxy material if you need it. I have been editing with native MXF files in Fcp7 and X, and there has been zero issues or downsides.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Davide Pettarini
on Dec 30, 2015 at 1:05:34 pm

Hi,
I had the same problem. I have fcpx 10.2.2 and I deleted from my system both the xavc plugin and the rad folder but when I open fcpx it still seems to have the plugin installed. I'm going crazy!
What I can do now?
Please help me. I what to read as native files the MXF files from my Sony FS5.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 30, 2015 at 2:11:57 pm

Just drag and drop the files in, bypassing the import window

Return to posts index

Ryan Kavanagh
on Dec 15, 2014 at 9:21:35 pm

I just started using the Sony A7s, which also uses XAVC format. I installed the plugin from Sony (PDZK-LT2_1.2.1) and I started trying to bring the files. I also saw some third party workflow where you convert everything to quicktime using the "Sony XAVC Converter for Mac", I hated this idea because I don't want to waste more time and disk space than I have to. I used XDCam for a long time and one of the things you can't do with XDCam is mess with the folder structure the camera creates on the card. But one of the things I noticed when working with Canon 60D was that when I maintained the card structure FCPX thought that the folder, even when located on a hard drive, was a card in a camera and force itself to make "optimized media". I'm not a fan of this because like I said I want to save disk space and time. So with the Canon I figured out that if I break the card structure by renaming the folders "xDICM" instead of "DICM", nothing fancy, FCPX no longer thinks the folder is a card and I can "leave in place" the files instead of transcoding. I thought I'd give this a try with the card structure of the Sony A7s, and this actually worked great as far as I can tell. The files work fine in FCPX (10.1.3 and 10.1.4), and I don't have to bother with transcoding anything. On the card there are lots of other folders and files, including an ".XML" file accompanying each ".MP4" file, but I just ignore (but maintain) all that and put the video (.MP4) files into a separate folder. I did it on my first project with the Sony A7s and it worked perfectly fine. If anyone knows of any unintended consequences this may cause I'd like to know. Also, does the F55 card have the same folder structure as the Sony A7s, since they are both XAVC? If they do maybe you should try what I'm doing.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 1, 2016 at 9:38:44 pm

I can import Sony A7s XAVC files directly into FCP X without any problems.

Currently running FCP X 10.2.2 on a 2012 MBP with El Cap.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Jan 4, 2015 at 4:25:42 am

I use some third-party software to help me transcode my xavc files into compatible format then load in premiere

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]