FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1.4 - MXF Export & XDCAM optical delivery

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Neal
FCPX 10.1.4 - MXF Export & XDCAM optical delivery
on Dec 11, 2014 at 1:04:58 pm

Hi all,

I need to deliver episodic TV content for a National Broadcaster here in Australia that is essentially XDCAM HD422 in optical disc media to Network.

That's fine (as much of our content is acquired in this format) and I have performed test exports in the past using Sony's Content Browser, exporter.

Interestingly, the Network now support flat file delivery with the MXF OP1a container - but would rather deliver XDCAM Optical in this particular instance.

My question now is with the new OP1A MXF support in FCPX 10.1.4:

- Should we still use the Content Browser, exporter for XDCAM Optical Disc Export?
- Do we still need to assign 8 mono tracks (roles) first in the FCPX timeline?
- Can we export directly now to MXF via FCPX and then write it to DISC
- Even better, can we now finally directly export to XDCAM disc (I have a U1 drive) from FCPX?

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: FCPX 10.1.4 - MXF Export & XDCAM optical delivery
on Dec 11, 2014 at 7:36:11 pm

Can't answer the DISC question because I haven't ever dealt with it but i can say, no you no longer have to use roles to create the extra audio tracks. FCPX takes the audio channels you have and then automatically adds extra silent channels as needed to make up the required number. This is four by default, so you'll have to go into compressor and modify the preset to get eight channels.

For what it's worth, just sent some files to Channel Seven here in Australia and they were happy with the MXF encoding straight out of FCPX.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Dec 11, 2014 at 8:50:43 pm

This one is for Nine.

I have submitted a ton of stuff to FOX Sports before now and no problems, but they accept straight XDCAM or ProRes files natively.

They (Nine) Also want it 4-channels of Audio:

Stereo Left
Stereo Right
M+E Left
M+E Right

... and 4 MOS (Muted) tracks.

So I am assuming by creating the stems (Roles) that will be fine...and then its just about creating the Compressor Preset for 8 channels of audio as you say?

Thanks,

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2014 at 8:54:23 pm

At that point you'd have to two step it as you can't add Roles to a Compressor preset.

You'd export a multichannel QuickTime with the appropriate channels, then use Compressor to make the MXF.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Dec 11, 2014 at 9:00:57 pm

Thanks Jeremy.

We also have software to ensure the audio meets the -24LKFS standard.

Does the OP1a container assist in this regard or do I still need to follow that process?

Thanks.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2014 at 9:19:46 pm

You'll have to run that through the software as MXF is merely the container.

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Dec 12, 2014 at 1:41:50 am

Thanks Jeff...

I will add however Compressor for the XDCAM HD422 50i Export I need, defaults to 8 channels in any case:

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2014 at 8:11:02 pm

Hi. I don't think you will be able to export straight to disc. That will require Content Browser to make the necessary package, but you can, however, export an 8ch OP1a XDCam HD (whatever flavor you need) by setting up a Compressor preset. Once you setup the preset in Compressor, that setting is then available in FCPX by opening the Share preferences, choose "Compressor Setting" and then choose the new MXF preset you just made in Compressor.

FCPX will blank the necessary 6 ch and add them to the export, providing an 8 discrete channel OP1a MXf file.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2014 at 8:11:33 pm

Oops! I see Jeff beat me to it.

Apologies.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 11, 2014 at 8:19:13 pm

And Jeremy's right. I think the only thing that's going to be capable of actually writing to a disc will be Sony's software.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Dec 13, 2014 at 5:29:06 am
Last Edited By Dean Neal on Dec 13, 2014 at 5:32:38 am

Good news... on the XDCAM Optical COW forum, Ian Cook confirmed you CAN export the MXF directly to the Optical Drive:

FORUM LINK

You could also still Content Browser to drag and drop the MXF file onto the Disc.

Seeing that I can directly export to the drive from FCPX is great news.

Just one tip for FCPX / XDCAM users out there...make sure you have your stereo panning set right before export - otherwise you will end up with a mono-master.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 13, 2014 at 2:52:35 pm

Great find, Dean, and very good to know. Thanks for posting.

I didn't think the XML would auto build, which is why I thought the Content Browser would be needed. But, this sounds like it's smart enough to know what to do!

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:10:22 am

Good to know how it work ! But sometimes I just can't load my xavc into fcp x, even use the sony browser or their plug-in....So I have to transcode them to prores first then reload into FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]