Creating the best quality Blu-Ray possiable

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter gregg
Creating the best quality Blu-Ray possiable
on Dec 7, 2014 at 9:40:50 am

Hi,

Help Please .

I am using FCPX 10.1.4 and toast to create family Blu-rays .

Please could somebody point me in the correct direction with all the settings etc.

My problem is when i watch my footage direct from my Camera (Sony A7S) on my projector ,it looks great very sharp noise free etc but by the time i have taken it through FCP/Toast and play it back on my oppo player its lost that real sharpness and pop.

My screen is 3meters wide so all flaws are open to be seen much easier .

Any guidence on what settings to use to create the "best quality possible" would be greatly appreciated.

I am a real amateur in every way, so please don't presume i have even got the basics set correct !!

If i need to ditch toast and buy new software etc thats fine .

Regards

Peter

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Creating the best quality Blu-Ray possiable
on Dec 7, 2014 at 7:42:48 pm

If you don't care about the barebones menu, just burn your blu-Rays directly from the share function in FCPX. They should look great.

You do have a blu-Ray burner, right?

Return to posts index

peter gregg
on Dec 7, 2014 at 8:21:55 pm

Hi

Thanks for your reply .

I have tried that but every time i try to use the share function in fcpx it hangs on 66% i have tried some different workarounds that i have read about on here ,but nothing seems to stop it happening.

Yeah i have a blu-ray burner .

thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 7, 2014 at 11:30:02 pm

In toast what compression are you using? You don't want MPEG 2. You want the other. MP4?

Return to posts index

peter gregg
on Dec 8, 2014 at 7:30:06 am

I am using mpeg4

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 8, 2014 at 7:00:50 pm

Your content is being transcoded at least once, and probably something is degrading the image. Do you have an optical drive so you can play the Blu-Ray disk on your Mac? That would verify whether the degradation is visible there or only on the big screen.

What is the FCP X output format that you're feeding Toast? Can you can play that intermediate file to your projector (say using QuickTime or VLC on a MacBook) and verify it looks OK? Basically you want to see if it went wrong at the output of FCP X or during Toast processing. If the problem happens *before* Toast that's also easier to experiment with, as you aren't burning a Blu Ray disk every time and you can experiment with a shorter clip.

Toast has various bit rate and quality options. Did you pick some custom options or just "automatic encoding"?

Return to posts index

peter gregg
on Dec 8, 2014 at 11:00:10 pm

When I play back the intermediate on my iMac it looks good but when played on my projector direct from my Mac it's quiet jumpey ie cars etc are jerky .when played back on bluray the jerky movements are gone . The actually quality (sharpness etc ) is the same .
I am doing it in 4444 XQ in fcpx .

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 9, 2014 at 12:44:54 am

The only thing I can think of is laterally moving objects naturally have some "frame judder". It is easier to see on a big screen. It's more noticeable at 24 frames/sec but at 30 (29.97) fps you can sometimes see it. On a small screen it can be there and you won't notice it as much. It's possible your Blu Ray player has some kind of de-judder or frame interpolation or video smoothing built in.

You can also add motion compensation when you render the project. FCP X has optical flow smoothing but I'm not sure that's appropriate. Compressor has a motion compensation function but I haven't experimented with it.

There are various types of frame interpolation (sometimes called motion interpolation or optical flow). Some newer TV monitors and projectors have it. Likewise Some software players like Cyberlink PowerDVD have it. VLC has it for some codecs, but how to use it and the various parameters aren't well documented.

If you can see it on the big screen when played from your Mac, but you don't see it when played from the Blu Ray player, this implies either the player or the Toast software added some kind of motion compensation.

Return to posts index

peter gregg
on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:59:12 pm

Thanks

That all makes a lot of sense my projector certainly has motion flow built in but I always have it turned of as it makes films look like home video ( all be it is very smooth )

I am film at 25fps on my camera in pal but when played back on my projector it always says the source is 50p .
Could this be where I am losing some sharpness and Pop ?

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:10:43 pm

24 or 25 fps source is more susceptible to judder when panning or during rapid subject movement. If 25 fps source is output from a modern digital projector at 25 fps, you'll see some judder in the above cases -- especially on a large screen. Cinema directors of photography are trained to minimize this when shooting -- they know how fast they can pan and how fast a subject can move at a given focal length and camera-to-subject distance before risking judder.

One modern solution is motion smoothing but there are many different types of smoothing algorithms. Some work better than others. The motion smoothing (aka frame interpolation or motion interpolation) can be done during render, by the playback device or the viewing device. For many decades there was no motion smoothing in the theater -- The DoP just had to shoot it right.

Re your projector saying 50 fps, there are several possibilities: your NLE project might be 50 fps and when you imported the 25 fps material it conformed it using some algorithm, probably frame repeating. When rendered or played from the Mac it is actually outputting 1080p/50, with each frame repeated twice.

Another possibility is your NLE project and output file are 25 fps, but the projector is doing frame repeating. Check your projector documentation and see if you have adjustable settings for this. Maybe it's using an "auto" setting and for some reason it switched to 50 fps.

Anytime the material is confirmed, filtered or converted there's a possibility of degradation. Normally I wouldn't expect that for frame repeating, but you never know.

So you apparently have two separate issues: the frame judder problem and the quality degradation. They may or may not be related; you'll just have to experiment and see.

Return to posts index

peter gregg
on Dec 10, 2014 at 8:41:34 pm

That's great thank you .
To be honest the "judder issue " is fine as its not there when my project is burnt onto a bluray .

The quality issue I need to look further into and like you say experiment . I will check that my project is not been converted into 50p in fcpx etc .
What is the best codec to use in fcpx for the best quality ? Time and size are not a worry as I would just rather get the last grain of quality .

Thanks again for your help

Return to posts index

emma xia
on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:41:58 am

Why you need FCPX for Blu-ray burning instead of professional Blu-ray buring tool like cyberlink? I heard from friends that it is the best.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 10, 2014 at 2:04:09 pm

Never heard of it. Is it for Mac? Why would you buy additional software if the software you have does what you need already?

Return to posts index

peter gregg
on Dec 10, 2014 at 2:24:36 pm

Also have never heard of it !!

I am filming at 25fps pal but when I feed it direct into my projector it shows as 1080p 50fps Why is this ?

Return to posts index

peter gregg
on Dec 16, 2014 at 6:28:34 pm

I have bought a new bluray burner and now can burn direct from fcpx . Help please with the settings as losing quality in my workflow .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]