FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surround Stems in Compound

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Greene
Surround Stems in Compound
on Dec 3, 2014 at 8:29:21 pm

I am cutting a trailer for a doc and want to use the surround stems as three different channels in my timeline. I made a compound clip for dialog (with it's six files configured for surround sound), another one for music and effects. then I combined these in a new compound with the video reels so that I have one file in my project. However, the audio shows up as only one channel when I was hoping for three channels.

Is there a way to create a compound clip with three channels (dialogue, music, effects) that can be treated like a video file that has multiple channels? In some cases I will only want the effects. In other cases I will want the effects and dialogue.

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.9 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Surround Stems in Compound
on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:01:41 am

Not sure exactly what you want to see in terms of actual visualization or functionality but Roles may be able to get you there. Some clues here: http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcp-x-export-multi-channel-audio/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Dec 4, 2014 at 2:00:44 am

I have roles all set up (dialogue, music, effects) and have labeled the surround stems appropriately. Roles help me when exporting, but not while editing.

I would like to have one clip with three stereo audio tracks attached so I can turn off dialogue or music as needed. I also love the idea of compound clips so I can swap out something (say dialogue) easily and not have to re-make my clip. But so far compound clips only seem to work correctly when attached to a parent video clip making it easy to slip things out of sync.

I did find that making a multiclip out of four compounds (video, dialogue, music, effects), gave me the functionality I need, but my machine could not play it consistently.

I also have found that if I export the audio roles as a multitrack quicktime and bring it back in, I can sync-clip it to the video compound clip and get the same functionality. However, then I loose the ability to swap out a vo line easily like I can if sync-clip worked with my compound clips.

I would really like to set this up correctly, because after I create this trailer, I will be making more marketing videos from the documentary footage and want things to be as quick and painless as possible.

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.9 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 4, 2014 at 2:50:43 am

Well if you think about it if everything is corrected setup with Roles you don't really need tracks to organize into stereo pairs by clip type.

When you export you can choose to group each Role into a stereo pair on export. Meanwhile it stays as discrete clips within the timeline. In every other NLE it's necessary to enforce organization by track at all times. In X, you can leave this until the moment of export. Here's how you'd set that up:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH17904?viewlocale=en_US

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]