FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying a project into a library without copying the media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Copying a project into a library without copying the media
on Nov 29, 2014 at 11:07:15 pm

I did it successfully, but my method involved moving all the media out of the Library into a scratch folder so that I could email off the library. In this case a client had a duplicate of the media, and I would have like to had just sent the project. Is there a way I can create a library and copy over the project without copying the managed media?

I would like to do the same for purposes of backing up. FCP is already doing this automatically through "backups". I trying to figure out how to do it manually.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Copying a project into a library without copying the media
on Nov 29, 2014 at 11:10:26 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Nov 30, 2014 at 3:09:16 pm

That's the best way.

If you are planning on sharing libraries, having the media external to the library is key.

This way, you can create a new library, drag what you want to it, choose not to include Proxies/Optimized or cache.

Then zip and send that new library.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 30, 2014 at 1:55:32 am

I've been sending XMLs and everything has carried over so far.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 30, 2014 at 3:27:19 pm

XMLs can work too and are much easier to use. I think a library is easier when you need to preserve all organization as you can drag what you need from library to library. XMLs don't necessarily send all of that info so it really depends on what you need to do; some key framing doesn't always come over, and most of the time Events update (if you have the same Events in the different libraries) but sometimes they don't.

I find working with Libraries to be a bit more accurate, but there are certainly more steps involved.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 30, 2014 at 4:52:51 pm

Yeah I figure there's something that doesn't convert over, but I've yet to find it. Color, Keyframes, folders, events, filters, effects- it's all been good recently.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 30, 2014 at 4:54:49 pm

Maybe Apple tweaked the last update in this regard?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 30, 2014 at 5:17:56 pm

I haven't put it through crucial testing, but frequently my client is roughing out sequences which include plugins, events, keywords, etc and she likes to play with basic keyframing too. We tried making exchange libraries and trying to ensure we both used external media and all but it was easier to just use XML for these non critical purposes. Once you import, as long as you have the media X doesn't care where it is, just that it's in the library.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]