FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using FCPX to create proxies for PPcc Ok idea?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Using FCPX to create proxies for PPcc Ok idea?
on Nov 26, 2014 at 10:57:44 pm

I have a 2011 T-bolt iMac on a Raid 0 Tbolt drive which unfortunately cannot play back my multi cam sequence at even 1/8 resolution on PP. Since I use PE to do my syncing, it's nothing to send the xml to both programs and right click transcode to proxy in FCP. Sending the XML to PP from PE nicely bins the footage by cameras so I can unlink and relink to the Proxies which I've set to go to a "Scratch" folder of my choosing at the finder level. So far it works out nicely accept for the fact that FCP proxies are not 1080. I'm guessing I'll have to switch sequence settings to 960x540 for the offline cut and switch back when I relink to the master files.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? One reason I do want to make the proxies in FCPX is so that if PP doesn't work out well, I can cut bait and go back to X without having to retranscode new files as proxies won't relink if generated from outside sources.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Using FCPX to create proxies for PPcc Ok idea?
on Nov 27, 2014 at 1:03:38 am

Why not just cut "native" in PPro and reduce the playback resolution until it works on your system. Dragging footage through FCPX if you're not going to really use it seems a bit unnecessary.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Nov 27, 2014 at 1:10:36 am

Well that was my initial attempt as I stated. It wouldn't ay back at even the lowest resolution. It's a multi cam sequence.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 27, 2014 at 1:38:24 am

Do the proxies play back in multicam in FCPX? Do you have a decent amount of RAM and VRAM?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Nov 27, 2014 at 1:56:39 am

I got 16gigs. They wouldn't play back in X unless I transcode to proxy which is easy. I figured 1/8 res would work fine in pp. Not even close.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 27, 2014 at 2:01:56 am

So why not just stay in FCPX? If there's on area it truly excels it the multicam feature. And you can take your friends out for drinks every month on the $50 you'll save on CC. :)

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Nov 27, 2014 at 2:05:49 am

Truth is I just want to get further mastery of it. It's the one nle I don't know like the back of my hand so I want to do the remaining projects of the year on it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 27, 2014 at 2:17:07 am

Hmm- sounds like it could be time to do a systems upgrade as well. Especially right now as there are major Black Friday Mac sales going on (at least in the US).

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Nov 27, 2014 at 5:54:20 am

David wrote [So far it works out nicely accept for the fact that FCP proxies are not 1080. I'm guessing I'll have to switch sequence settings to 960x540 for the offline cut and switch back when I relink to the master files.]

FCP X always will create proxies which are half size dimensions of the source (x/2, y/2). The timeline settings are ignored.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 27, 2014 at 6:26:02 pm

And both Pr and FCPX have settings to account for this difference in size so that you won't have to readjust your entire timeline when connecting back to full res.

Edit in a 1080 timeline, not 540, in either app.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Nov 29, 2014 at 11:05:20 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I figured out how. That will save me a lot of time as I only need to proxy the multi cam clips the rest I just want to bring in Native.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]