FORUMS: list search recent posts

The dreaded relinking problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Markgraf
The dreaded relinking problem
on Nov 24, 2014 at 9:25:04 pm

OK then.

Yosemite broke my ATTO fiber card driver. No problem. Took the raid to work, plugged in the card & raid, transferred the drive (with about 7 TB of mostly R3D files) to the TerraBlock server. Used Chronosynch to verify the files and generate a log of failed files. Only 22 failures out of over 50,000 files. Whew. Then copied the files onto my fancy new GRaid Thunderbolt raid. Just a straight OS file copy. All there. Good to go...

Except...

Files don't relink. Directory is structure identical, except for being enclosed in a "to transfer" folder. Relinking all missing files results in the beachball of death and a force quit. Relinking large groups of files results in the "files have changed" error. I can relink individual files for the most part, but there are like 5000 files. And some still give me the file change error.

Argh. Maybe the Chronosynch messed with the metadata as it verified each file? I don't seem to be able to point to 1 file in a folder and have all the files there relink. Maybe because each R3D file is in its own enclosing folder?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: The dreaded relinking problem
on Nov 24, 2014 at 10:33:57 pm

What version of FCPX are you on?

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Nov 26, 2014 at 5:53:03 am

Sorry. 10.1.whatever. The most recent update. Running on a MacBook Pro Retina 15. Yosemite (update, not a clean install).

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Nov 26, 2014 at 12:48:53 am

As I am unfamiliar with Chronosync, you may be on to something there as I have had some screwy behavior with some cloning problems and metadata.

What I would try is making a new library, set your prefs to "Leave files in place", then import the r3d files into it. Then try drag your project into that library. If that works, then just drag your events over as well. There is something to do with the way Red files behave with the Red Apple Workflow plugin that makes normal relinking a pain.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Nov 26, 2014 at 6:03:09 am

Hi Darren.

My tech guy at the facility where I did the transfer says Chronosynch just checks each file and tries again to copy it, then prints a log of any failures. But I can try checking with the company that makes it, as they are apparently very responsive.

As far as r3d files, I wonder if the fact that each clip in in its own enclosing folder is making FCP hiccup. The reason for the folders is that one file may actually be 2 or 3 spanned files within the folder. When I import the files, FCP seems to know how to go into each folder and make one file out of the pieces. The folder has the same name as the file. I wonder of relinking doesn't know to drill into the folder, and is getting confused by the folder having the identical name as the file? Because I can relink one file at a time by locating the file name with a "_001" appended to it and selecting it.

Hmm.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 26, 2014 at 12:36:17 pm

Let's back up a bit. I assume you are on 10.1 and not earlier?

First, Atto has Yosemite compatible drivers. Have you tried to update your atto config, flash, and driver?

Did you reinstall the red importer after the Yosemite uograde?

FCP 10.1 has better relinking where you can point to at an encompassing folder and it should relink. If this isn't happening, I would try to reimport (not relink) one of the r3d files to rebuild the symlink. If that doesn't work, I'd trash the symlinks out of the FCPX library and reimport.

Also have to you tried the file > reimport from camera/archive option? Before doing so, open the import window, and add the folder that contains the R3Ds to the 'Favorites', close the import window, and then try the reimport option.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:07:45 am

So...all is now well. Thanks for the suggestions, Jeremy.

Regarding the ATTO driver, ATTO knows this driver is broken in Yosemite. But it's for a discontinued card, so no replacement. Plus a new card would be something like $1200. Totally not worth it.

At your suggestion I did reinstall the R3D FCP plugin. No immediate change. And the reimport from camera archive never worked, as the option remained greyed out.

As it turned out, I tried relinking smaller groups of files and pointing to the RDM enclosing folder of at least one file. FCP then relinked the group with no problem except sometimes needing to point to a new folder for some stragglers. Often, FCP would find over a hundred files in different folders with no problem...go figure.

So everything is now relinked, including proxies. Some proxies had to be regenerated for some reason. I'm sure there is some better way to do all this, but at least it's done. And the whole episode kind of forced me to get a new TBolt 2 raid, which is totally sweet.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:01:47 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "So...all is now well."

Excellent.

[Jeff Markgraf] "And the whole episode kind of forced me to get a new TBolt 2 raid, which is totally sweet."

Even excellenter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]