FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accidentally importing all files from camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jordan
Accidentally importing all files from camera
on Nov 22, 2014 at 7:57:42 pm

Howdy.

I find myself suddenly having import problems in FCPX, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My problem is that I am attempting to import just one clip from my camera, but all clips are somehow being imported.

Rather than import dozens (or, in some cases, hundreds) of clips into a project right from the start, my preferred workflow is to import clips in small batches as I need them. For instance: I first import my interview clips and then edit my sound bytes together. Next, I import my b-roll to cover the sound bytes in segment A. I finish editing segment A. Then, I import b-roll for Segment B. Finish Segment B. Etc. Etc.

I've worked that way for years and never had a problem ... until last week.

I've been working in the same project for days (I have not altered any of my preferences), and on three separate occasions, I have accidentally imported all clips from my camera. And I have no idea how I'm doing this.

To be clear, this is exactly what I'm doing:
1. Right click on event
2. Select "import"
3. Select a single clip from window and hit blue "import all" button

Sometimes I do this and I get the results I want. But on a few occasions, instead of importing just the one selected clip, FCPX imports all clips from the memory card. When this happens, a grey dialogue box pops up and says "preparing clips to import." EVEN THOUGH just one clip is highlighted. Next I get the spinning beach ball of death for a while. And after a few minutes of waiting for FCPX to unfreeze, I find my event is now filled with every single clip from the camera.

What am I doing wrong here?

I use one of those wireless Mac mouses, and I'm wondering if the fleshy part of my hand is accidentally touching the mouse and selecting some "import all" option that I didn't mean to select.

Help, please. I'm hoping this is a simple I.D. 10 T user error :)

Camera: C100
FPCX version 10.1.3

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Accidentally importing all files from camera
on Nov 23, 2014 at 2:40:01 am

[Chris Jordan] "3. Select a single clip from window and hit blue "import all" button"
Once you select a clip, the "Import All" button turns into the Import Selected... button. This happens simply by selecting any of the clips in the list. If this is not happening, that's your problem. Perhaps you're not really selecting one of the clips.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]