Options for importing h264 files into FCPX without file structure

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen hockman
Options for importing h264 files into FCPX without file structure
on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:23:22 pm
Last Edited By stephen hockman on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:59:50 pm

What can I do in this situation?

I use Adobe Premiere on Windows, however I have an intern who will be editing a video using FCPX.

I never keep the file structure off of the SD cards. Instead, I go into the folder and drag all of the clips off onto my hard drive into separate category folders. That way I can have a huge collection of BRoll that is sorted into categories. I also rename all of the clips in the windows finder so i know what they are. This makes my life easier with multiple projects going on at once.

With Adobe Premiere, I can just drag those clips into the program and start editing.

FCPX does not recognize the clips unless they are in the file structure off of the disk.

I have Adobe Media Encoder, however it is on Windows and I do not have a Pro Res preset. Supposedly Windows can't do this??

Can someone tell me what my options are to get these clips transcoded into a format that FCPX will import so my intern can start the project?

I read somewhere that MPEG Streamclip could work. But windows version does not have Pro Res output. I also read that I can download Avid DNxHD codecs and transcode to that. I did a test and the file size is HUGE! A 93mb file turned into 527mb. If i do, will FCPX natively import them?

I have access to the mac she is working on. So I could use MPEG Streamclip on that computer if it downloads with Pro Res output.

Or, is there a way I can export a codec from Adobe Media Encoder on windows that will work in FCPX?

And if it matters, the final output of this video is Youtube only.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
Re: Options for importing h264 files into FCPX without file structure
on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:48:45 pm

Stephen,

Are you referring AVCHD? If so FCPX will recognize, import, and transcode individual files extracted from the file structure. You can create Optimized or Proxy copies ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

stephen hockman
on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:50:57 pm

really? i will have to go and try.

in fact, now that i think of it, i was using another camera that shot .MTS files when i had that file structure problem.

Now i am using a canon 70d which shoots .mov.

maybe i just wasted everyone's time. LOL!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:29:26 pm

If you have Premiere, just download Adobe media encoder on their Mac and convert there. That's one of the nice things about the cloud. It's multi platform.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:35:19 pm

FCXP does read h264 .mov files from DSLR.

You shouldn't have a problem with this footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]