FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple projects from a single library: used media management

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
Multiple projects from a single library: used media management
on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:20:09 pm

Hello. Maybe somebody can help me here.
I edit some kind of trip documentaries. So I leave for a trip, gather footage, and edit and delivery multiple episodes from the same trip. I often work at once on more than one of the projects. The only way I have found so far to keep track of what clip I already used in one of the projects is lining all the episodes on a single project timeline, and use "unused" in the browser window. Anyway, doing so I can't check the actual duration of each episode handly as I edit and I don't like to edit very long timelines, so I'd rather have a project for each one. I tried to use one of the fields like "reel" or "scene" to mark clips as used in one of the episodes, but it won't work unless I flag each single clip. If I select the whole timeline of one of the episodes, and write "used in episode 1" in the inspector "scene" field, when I click on one of the clipsin the timeline the field content will show in the inspector, but not in the browser. Same if I select from the Timeline Index. Am I doing something wrong, or there's another workaround or possibly a plug in that can help me?
Thank you!

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2014 MacBook Pro Retina, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.9.4

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Multiple projects from a single library: used media management
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:38:35 pm

You've nailed it. You're not doing anything wrong. Perhaps you could mark each clip right before you edit it into the timeline. But then if you change your mind you now have a clip marked used when it isn't.

Unless something has changed, they really need a way to show "used" clips/ranges as a qualifier in the browser so you can mark them there all at once.

Legacy let you select multiple sequences and "find used/unused" and it gave you a bin of the results. X should be able to do even better with all its amazing meta data, but alas, it can even do that.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Nov 21, 2014 at 10:26:38 am

How about this...

Create a smart collection that shows all used clips.
Select all the clips showing in the bin and option-x to clear the ranges.
Select all the clips again, and label them somehow to indicate that they are used.

If you don't use "reject" for anything, you can reject all the used clip ranges.
Setting the browser view to "hide rejected" will hide all of your used clips.

Or, you can keyword the used clips with a keyword "used", turn on your skimmer info in the event browser, and when you skim, you'll see the "used" keyword in the skimmer info.

Or using the "used" keyword, you can create other smart collections that hide anything with the "used" keyword.

I agree that a unused view reflecting all of your projects would be helpful.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:33:21 pm

Thank you, I'll try your suggestions and see what works best fro my needs. However, I don't get why the browser won't retain the notes applied to multiple clips selected in the timeline. It would be kind of easy if I could just lazoo select clips in a timeline after an editing session and fill a field, even if it's labeled "reel", "angle" or "scene", and have it showing in the browser. Or select multiple clips and have them revealed/selected in the browser. Something for my next wish list.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2014 MacBook Pro Retina, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.9.4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]