FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viacom Broadcast Specs in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Mack
Viacom Broadcast Specs in FCPX
on Nov 20, 2014 at 1:50:20 pm

I really need help guys. I have a music video I have finished for a client and it will be aired on MTV. They sent me the broadcast specs but I have no idea on how to convert them for broadcast. Is there anyone out there that has experience in broadcast specs in FCPX? This is what they sent me:

• Max peak audio no greater than -10 dbFS
• Include a 5 second slate
• Include 2 seconds of black before the video starts
• Please include at least 2 frames of black at the end of the video and no more than 1 second
• Include a blank, safety caption at the start of the video
• Black levels: 0 IRE for HD / 7.5 IRE for SD
• Ensure broadcast safe chroma levels (below 120 IRE)
• NO audio peaks
• NO slate information or graphics on the music video itself
• NO mono audio files or tracks (watch your output settings)
• NO bars & tone
• NO anamorphic videos for (SD)
• NO variable bit rates (VBR)
• NO variable frame rates
• NO lower/bottom field dominance
• NO H.264 masters

HD
XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR
XDCAM HD422 1080p30 CBR
MPEG-2
50 Mbits/s
29.97/59.94
Yes
16:9
1920x1080
4:2:2
1080i (Upper/top field first)
1080p (Progressive)
PCM Audio/SMPTE 302M
48kHz
16, 24

SD
IMX NTSC 50
MPEG-2
MXF
50 Mbits/s
Yes
4:3
720x486
720x480
4:2:2
480i (Upper/top field first)
PCM Audio/SMPTE 302M
48kHz
16, 24

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Viacom Broadcast Specs in FCPX
on Nov 20, 2014 at 6:03:45 pm

I don't do broadcast but those look pretty lenient. If you edited in HD looks like all you need to do is add a 5 sec countdown with the 2 only being 1 frame and followed by 2 secs of black. Output to XDCam CBR, and make sure no audio is over -10 db and no chroma is over 120ire. I'd add a adjustment layer to the whole video or make it a compound clip and add broadcast safe filter then double check the levels on the video waveform. Should be obvious if you have chroma clipping at 120. They didn't mention luma but the broadcast safe filter might handle it. Stick a few frames of black at the end (gap clip will do) and you're done.

It shouldn't be so simple, but their specs don't seem very stringent. Perhaps some expert has a better idea?

Return to posts index

Howard Duy Vu
on Nov 21, 2014 at 2:52:05 am

It's actually pretty straightforward. I would output a ProRes master first (after you do what Bret suggests, which are all the slates and broadcast-safe things which are standard). The audio part is really easy because it's a song, so you know where it will peak, so just make sure it's under -10 db.

After you get your ProRes master, run it through Compressor, with XDCAM HD422i60 as your codec, 59.94 framerate, and top first field order. I'm guessing you cut this video at 23.976fps, so this step is to add the pulldown to get to 59.94 fps. You should be able to just have the "copy audio tracks from source" checked if you made sure your ProRes master was set to 48kHz stereo. The list looks complicated, but it's all very standard.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 21, 2014 at 3:12:38 am

If you're not familiar with compressor, and you did cut in 24p, you can add the pulldown in FCP X by simply duplicating your project (sequence) and then making a compound clip out of it. Make a new 1080i 1920x1080 project. Drop the compound clip into that. FCP X will add the correct pulldown and you don't have to worry about upper/lower fields, etc. Then you can add the broadcast safe effect to that clip and bring down audio levels and any other brightness and saturation necessary. Export that as a master file and click on settings and choose the XDCam 422 (50mbs) setting. That's what I'd do. I trust FCP X to do the interlacing correctly and there's a lot of user error possible by going to compressor. You're going down a little bit of a generation by going to ProRes first as well, but no human would ever notice.

Return to posts index

Howard Duy Vu
on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:00:10 pm

Yes, the compound clip method should work fine. Just wanted to chime in and say if you wanted to go the Compressor route as above, I misspoke about making the framerate 59.94. It should actually be 29.97 (so ignore their specs that say 59.94). 29.97i is actually 59.94 because it's 59.94 fields per second already. If you go make a new timeline in FCPX and set it to 1080i, it will only have two options: 25i and 29.97i, so 29.97i is what you want in either case.

Return to posts index

Rob Mack
on Nov 23, 2014 at 2:01:24 am

Thank you for the prompt response. Everytime I drop the compound clip into a 1080i timeline it changes it to 1080p.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]