FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moire Effect Drama

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
benjamin packard
Moire Effect Drama
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:40:31 pm

My footage has a bad moire effect (see attached screenshot).
Horizontal lines scan from the bottom of the frame to the top.
Is there anyway to remove or minimize this in FCPX?
Thank you!

- Benjamin

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Moire Effect Drama
on Nov 20, 2014 at 4:07:58 am

That's not moiré. Did you leave the overhead fluorescents on when you shot this?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

benjamin packard
on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:43:37 am

If that's not called moire what is it referred to?
There were no overhead fluorescents on.
I used a 500 LED video light in the U.S.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 20, 2014 at 11:42:09 am

Nope, that's definitely not moire which is essentially an interference pattern created by sensors/codecs when small tight patterns (eg small checks on a shirt, bricks in the distance, etc) are shot.

What you have looks to be scan lines caused by flickering lights that are out of sync with your frame rate. Lots of the cheap LED light fixtures suffer from it.

Sadly, i don't think there much you can do to fix it other than re-shoot.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

benjamin packard
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:43:48 pm

Thanks Jeff! Can you recommend a higher quality LED light that would prevent this from happening?

This is the light I'm currently using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZWNNKO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:50:12 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:50:33 pm

There IS a technique to "fix" this in post, using the color selection tool in the 3-way color corrector to select the darker bands and re-match their color to the overall wall color. This doesn't fix it 100 percent, but *might* fix it enough to make the footage usable, if it's the only footage you've got.

A light that would not cause this is one of the new plasma-based lights like the HIVE. It's refresh rate is so many hertz higher, it doesn't read any flicker at all.

Return to posts index

benjamin packard
on Nov 20, 2014 at 6:19:18 pm

Mark,

Thanks for your FCP suggestion and light recommendation.
1. I just called HIVE and their cheaper light is $2k which exceeds my budget. Do you know of any less expensive alternatives?
2. Would you please email me at benjamin@retainermedia.com. I'd like to hire you to do the 3 way color corrector fix.

Thank you again for your help!

- Benjamin

Return to posts index

benjamin packard
on Nov 22, 2014 at 6:35:27 am

Thanks Mark. I don't have FCP 7. I'm using FCPX.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 22, 2014 at 9:44:29 am

Should work the same in x.

Return to posts index

Michael Reed
on Dec 14, 2014 at 7:35:40 am

As mentioned by others it is a result of the over head fluorescents on. If you have to shoot with the fluorescents on you will need to change your shutter to 144 degree shutter angle which is 1/60 of a second on a DSLR.

Return to posts index

Chris Jordan
on Nov 22, 2014 at 8:23:52 pm

Hey, Benjamin.

That doesn't look too too bad. Why not try to get creative and work with the mistake instead of trying to fix it?

Maybe slap a Gaussian blur on there. Or try to focus eyeballs on the speaker's face (rather than the distracting wall) by adding a vignette.

I have a plugin called "FilmStyles" (I paid maybe $50 for it and got a dozen or so effects), and I have used the "35 mm DOF" effect to add a slight blur around the edges of an image (you can choose how big/shape the blur). There's also an effect called simply "FilmStyles" that allows the option of adding a soft glow to the entire image; that effect is often helpful for softening mistakes. http://filmstyles.dvcreators.net

Just a thought. Make lemons out of lemonade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]