FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD from hard drive or FCPX archive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
AVCHD from hard drive or FCPX archive
on Nov 19, 2014 at 5:50:39 pm

I`ve copied my camera card over to an external drive. I also made an archive in fcpx.

When I try to import from these to fcpx library, I can't find my avchd files. How can I do this?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AVCHD from hard drive or FCPX archive
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:25:00 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "When I try to import from these to fcpx library, I can't find my avchd files."

What do you mean?

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:29:26 pm

When I go to import in fcpx, my external drive is read as media, and when I open this - jpeg is shown, but not the avchd (private map) - My other hard drive is read as "camera", and there I can see the avchd.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:31:13 pm

Make sure that you don't have a folder named PRIVATE or VIDEO or anything related to a camera card structure at the root of your drive.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:34:01 pm

Aha, I thought I should keep my.camera structure

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:41:22 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "Aha, I thought I should keep my.camera structure"

You should, but put it in another folder so it should be something like:

Card_01 > Camera Card Structure.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:57:13 pm

Ok - how do I load my hd content as "camera"?

I have a folder named camera 1, and inside I have Dcim. Root and Private - inside private the avchd is hidden

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:59:52 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "Ok - how do I load my hd content as "camera"? "

You would have to make a disk image of your material, or save it as a camera archive (which I don't recommend as it's too proprietary).

Why do you need to load as "camera"?

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:07:09 pm

Just someone mentioned it in this thread. And from camera I can chooce only import video/ photos. So to be clear: I should get my avchd out of that private folder, before importing from external hd?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:11:09 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "And from camera I can chooce only import video/ photos. So to be clear: I should get my avchd out of that private folder, before importing from external hd?"

No, you don't have to, but you could.

I'm a little confused as to what you want to do, but you should be able to simply load the AVCHD folder if you have the proper card structure, and as long as the structure isn't on the root level of the drive.

I am not sure about stills, though, haven't had AVCHD footage with stills.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:15:40 pm

Ok, if I take then out of the private, it works. From the import manager Fcpx just don't read the avchd folder - it does'nt show up - and it's not saved at the root structure

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:51:07 pm

Just have to drag and drop the mts files from Finder to fcpx.Inside the avchd is the bdmv, and this just make fcpx confused, I guess. Did'nt work to take the mts out.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:11:16 pm

Easiest way is probably just import it directly from camera to fcpx, and then do my backups - just had a plan to store the "originals"

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:39:53 am

I back up AVCHD from cards after a shoot by just making a folder, naming it to identify the contents and then drag the whole AVCHD file into it. FCPX can open it just as it would from the card because the whole structure is preserved. I use FCPX to read the card and make my primary copy for editing. When I finsh, I have 2 independent copies, in case something goes wrong with one of them.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:26:52 pm

You should be able to "mount" what you copied, and it will be listed as a "Camera." FCPX will then recognize the storage structure and translate the .MTS clips in preparation for importing.

If you are looking to drill into the folder structure to gain access to the individual clips - you need to "Show Package Contents." Here's the path to the .MTS files:

If you want to work with the files as individual clips you need to pull them out of the archive in order to access independently.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:52:57 pm

Now i understood paul- sorry for this

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 2, 2014 at 7:12:43 am

Not sure if your problem has been solved or not, but still want to post my ideals. Did you copy the entire structure of your video folder? If this videos are "Orphan" avchd files, then it must be a little bit difficult to import them into your fcp. what camera you used? like Canon, Sony , they all have their own plug-in gear to help customers to import their videos into edit software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]