FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlaced Export (AVCHD)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gage Oxley
Interlaced Export (AVCHD)
on Nov 15, 2014 at 6:30:23 pm

Hello!

I filmed a feature on the Canon Legria HFG30 on AVCHD - editing on Final Cut Pro X. In the timeline the footage is clear and non-interlaced, same as when it is uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo through the share options.

The film is showing at a festival next week and I have had continuous problems with an export. I exported it at the recommended settings of Apple ProRes 422 (saying this was the source), the file size was around 75GB.

After playing the file back in Quicktime Player, the video is slightly interlaced - with noticeable lines during some movement.
I have read another forum which suggests that it is just the application, but just wanted to triple check this - as I have to give it to the cinemas tomorrow morning!

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Gage

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Interlaced Export (AVCHD)
on Nov 18, 2014 at 8:05:22 pm

the only thing I can think of is to double check that the footage and project are actually progressive. Those smaller Canon cameras tend to record PSF and FCPX often imports the footage as interlaced. I've been caught by that a couple of times if I forget to go to the info panel and set it to progressive.

If your feeling especially paranoid, you could check the footage properties in one of those many video info apps, or even just the QuickTime player's info panel. And if all else fails, I'd possibly force the issue and reimport the master clip to a progressive timeline, tell FCPX to deinterlace it, and output it again.

On the other hand, it could just be the player, although I've never seen it happen unless there was actually something interlaced there. Try playing it in something like VLC or on a different machine.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Gage Oxley
Re: Interlaced Export (AVCHD)
on Nov 30, 2014 at 2:39:36 pm

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your reply! The footage recorded in a .MTS format, from which I imported from camera into FCPX and put a back up on my computer just in case.

The actual preview of the footage in FCPX is perfect, and not interlaced at all. I also made sure during import into the timeline that it was set to change the settings based on the clips.

Also - what I find is strange is when I use the 'share' option to YouTube, the footage is fine and non-interlaced; but as soon as I export to master file to the both the Source (ProRes 422) and also H.264 the footage when previewed in both Quicktime Player and AVC is interlaced. Also, when that Master File is uploaded to YouTube, it is interlaced.

I'm now making two videos for online use, and still - the interlace issue is here. What makes it worse is FCPX is not allowing me to upload directly to YouTube!
Here's a screenshot of the Master File, which interlaces during any movement:

What makes it even worse is I don't have the raw footage from the camera, as the camera isn't mine! When I go into the project folder in FCPX where the footage is saved, that too is interlaced?
Is there any way to make the footage deinterlaced once it has been exported, or to fix it in the edit so that once it is exported it isn't interlaced?
Also, apologies if it's very obvious - I am new to this!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]