FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stabilization of downscaled 4k only works sometimes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris walker
Stabilization of downscaled 4k only works sometimes
on Nov 17, 2014 at 3:39:11 am

Putting 4k footage from an LX100 on a 1080p timeline, some clips don't seem to stabliize at all, even when I have all setting on the max of 4.5. Mostly when there is a substantial amount of movement, but not always. Sometimes I'll have two almost identical clips, such as a slow handheld dolly, and one smooths out and the other doesn't change at all. Could this have to do with the timeline being 60fps and the footage 30fps? Should I stabilize in a 4k timeline and then import the shot into the 1080p one? What can I do about this? One of the benefits of downscaled 4K is supposed to be that you can do more radical stabilization because less resolution is lost zooming in, but so far it's not working for me. Please help!

Return to posts index

chris walker
Re: Stabilization of downscaled 4k only works sometimes
on Nov 17, 2014 at 3:55:43 am

By the way, after writing that post I read about setting spacial conform to none and tried that, with the scale at 50%, but, stabilization is no better.

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Nov 17, 2014 at 4:03:38 am

Now I have also tried stabilizing in a 4k 30fps timeline. Still doesn't work. What's going on?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:10:55 am

How long are your clips? I'd expect that stabilizing even a moderate length 4k clip would take quite a while (hours?) to do just the motion analysis. What does the render manager say while you are in progress?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Nov 21, 2014 at 3:47:33 am

The clips are mostly 4-8 seconds long. I get the usual message that it's analyzing the motion, takes a few minutes at most, then a shorter time to render. The rendered clip sometimes shows some degree of smoothing, sometimes no change I can discern. Same type of shot done in 1080p 60fps, smooths out much better almost always. I hope this doesn't mean I have to avoid handheld 4k shots where I'm doing gentle moves like dollying in a couple of feet. I'm almost always able to stabilize those very nicely with 1080p 60fps, and was looking forward to being able to do even better stabilization with 4k since I could use maximum settings and not worry about a substantial digital zoom being applied.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:37:38 pm

[chris walker] "looking forward to being able to do even better stabilization with 4k since I could use maximum settings and not worry about a substantial digital zoom being applied.
"

IIRC, the amount of digital "blowup" required looks at the MOST off-position frame - and calculates the enlargement based on the ability to get that stabilized. So one bad shake is enough to cause significant blowup - even if the rest of the shot doesn't need nearly as much.

I've had luck with just watching my footage and if there's a brief bad patch, cut it out - stabilize the resulting two shots - and re-blend the result into one scene.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Nov 22, 2014 at 8:55:34 pm

I realize that a big camera jerk can require a big zoom-in, but with 4k that big zoom-in should still allow good sharpness on a 1080p timeline. The question I need answered is why a 1080p, 60fps shot smooths out nicely while the almost identical shot in 4k 30fps doesn't smooth out at all even with stabilization settings maxed out. Can 30fps vs. 60fps really make that much of a difference? I'll try stabilize some 30fps 1080p shots and see if I have the same problem..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]