FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trimming a Motion 5 template for use as a generator in FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Woods
Trimming a Motion 5 template for use as a generator in FCP X
on Nov 13, 2014 at 9:38:28 pm

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. Basically, I am looking to create several templates (as final cut pro X generators) based on various projects that I have created in Motion 5.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to trim the entire animation so that I can just utilize the playback in and out points in order to save as a generator template for use in FCP X.

In other words, I have purchased several templates in Motion 5 and modified them. However, I only want a few seconds of the animation to play within Final Cut Pro.

How do I go about trimming the animation down to my in and out points so as to re-save as a generator in FCP X?

If this is not directly possible, is there a suitable workaround?

In the past, I have simply exported the entire animation sequence as a 720P video and simply imported as an asset into FCP. From there I just simply use the blade tool or [I]n and [O]ut markers to specify what I want to include on my timeline.

However, that approach causes me to have to constantly update all of my texts and Dropzones from within Motion 5, and then go about exporting and re-importing, etc. That is a huge time hog.

I was hoping to streamline the process and just create small generator templates that can be more easily modified within FCP.

Thanks so much for any assistance on this.

Kind Regards,

Colin

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Trimming a Motion 5 template for use as a generator in FCP X
on Nov 13, 2014 at 10:56:52 pm

In your modified Motion project, create a marker on any layer at the point you want as your starting point (in case you aren't using the pre-existing opening animation). Do the same at the end. These are your trim points.

In the timeline pane, Select all your layers (CMD+A) and drag to the left while holding SHIFT on the keyboard. It should snap to the marker point. Now your first marker will be at the beginning of the Motion project.

Jump to your 2nd marker. Note the TC or frame. Click on the little clock icon to the left of the TC display to show project duration. Shorten the duration of the project to match with the frame where you want the animation to end.

Save As, and give it a new name.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Colin Woods
Re: Trimming a Motion 5 template for use as a generator in FCP X
on Nov 13, 2014 at 11:46:59 pm

Hello Andy,

It worked! Absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much for your help!

Best,

Colin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]