FORUMS: list search recent posts

Easiest way to turn off connected clips, or solo one connected clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
Easiest way to turn off connected clips, or solo one connected clip
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:22:36 am

When working With split screen (16 Clips) , I sometimes need to see only one of the clips; what`s the easiest way?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Easiest way to turn off connected clips, or solo one connected clip
on Nov 13, 2014 at 1:00:45 pm

You can solo clips by selecting them and hitting option-s. There's also a key command to add clips to the soloed selection if you need to add more clips to the solo, after you have made the initial selection. I have it mapped to command-option-s, but I'm not sure of the default command. Check the command with command-option-I to open the shortcuts and type "solo" in the search field.

Another way is to turn on clip skimming (I have it mapped to command-s, again, unsure of the default command) and you can skim only the clip you want to see by skimming directly within the boundaries of the clip on the timeline. You will see a "mini" skimmer that is only as high as the clip.

I hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 13, 2014 at 1:19:17 pm

I thought I tried the option S - but the connected Clips didnt disappeaer. Really strange. I will try it again tonight.

I have many connected Clips, and the problem is that some Clips are hidden behind the other ones. I know I can just reposition in inspector, but an easy solo maneuver would do the trick.

Anyway - thanx

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2014 at 2:34:50 pm

What do you mean by disappear?

You can also enable/disable clips by toggling 'v' but you have to select all the clips you want to disable. Solo basically does the opposite and turns everything else off, except the selection.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:40:31 pm

I thought I could just click a clip in the tl, and then solo it from there; and the other clips would dissapear... Do I have to make a selection before soloing? I'm not on my mac right now, so just havn't tried yet.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:49:46 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "I thought I could just click a clip in the tl, and then solo it from there; "

You can. An easy way to select a clip is to hover over the clip and hit 'c', then hit option-s to solo. The rest of the timeline is noe balck and white, and the visible clip is soloed. If you assign a command to "add to soloed clips" you can then select more clip and add those to solo selection. Then option-s toggles the solo off.

There's also a button for soloing on the timeline, it looks like an S with headphones on.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 13, 2014 at 9:22:34 pm

I did like this - all the clips are grey, and the solo clip is colored - but as you see all clips are shown in the viewer. why?

I can pick all the clips I don't want to see, and use v to disable them - that works just fine.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 13, 2014 at 10:29:45 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "I can pick all the clips I don't want to see, and use v to disable them - that works just fine.
"

I see, thanks for the picture, it helps.

You want to actually turn them off in the viewer too, then yes, disable is the way to go, or clip skimming as I mentioned. Clip skimming will show only the video layer you are skimming.

Clip Skimming is also available form the "View" menu. The default command is command-option-s.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 16, 2014 at 10:22:41 pm

What's the logic in greyed out clips appearing in viewer?

Any changes only apply to the soloed clip but FC lets you see it's relationship to other clips?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:35:04 pm

Ok, thanx, thats kind of weird - the skimming works great for looking at the clip, but doesn't work when repositioning in the viewer - should be an easier way.

I want to position a lot of clips, and its tedious to turn off clips with v. I wish for a solo viewr button

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:39:57 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:57:21 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "Ok, thanx, thats kind of weird - the skimming works great for looking at the clip, but doesn't work when repositioning in the viewer - should be an easier way. "

You need to position a clip without the reference of the other clips?

Or do you need to see what clip you are working on? If you need to see what clip you are working on, simply right click on the proper clip and choose "Transform" or select the clip on the timeline and hit Shift-t. This is add a "bounding box" to the clip to see which one you are working on.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:57:33 pm

Sorry, shift-t, not command-t.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]