FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jump to same point in compound/multicam clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Hickler
Jump to same point in compound/multicam clip
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:19:00 pm

When you double click on a compound or multicam clip from the main timeline, you enter that secondary timeline with the playhead positioned where it was the last time you were there. Is there a way to enter a compound or multicam clip so that the playhead is positioned at the same point in the video you were looking at in the main timeline - the way that After Effects does with nested compositions?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Jump to same point in compound/multicam clip
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:24:02 pm

Please send feedback to Apple about this: https://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:42:05 pm

I'm sorry - I didn't understand your response to my question. Are you saying that there is not a way to do this?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:43:23 pm

That's right. Please send feedback to have it rectified.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Nov 13, 2014 at 10:12:32 am
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Nov 13, 2014 at 10:22:55 am

Actually with compound clips you can do what you say.

Put your playhead at any point on the CC in the main timeline and double-click the CC to open it in its own timeline. The playhead will be positioned at the same point in the video you were looking at in the main timeline.

Go back to the main timeline, put your playhead at a new point on the CC and double-click the CC to open it in its own timeline. The playhead will be positioned at the same new point in the video you were looking at in the main timeline.

As I use this quite often I have created a keyboard shortcut so I can avoid having to double-click the clip to open it in its own timeline.

There IS one thing I would like to see improved in this:

When you open the CC in its own timeline, you move the playhead in there and then you go back to the main timeline the playhead will still be positioned at point in the video you were looking at when you opened the CC and not at the new point you were looking at in CC's own timeline. It would be sweet if we could do this as well.

Regarding multicam clips:

As Jeremy said, it would be great if we could do the same with multicam clips. But multicam clips are very different from nested comps. So use the FCP X Feedback to post a request for this feature.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 16, 2014 at 10:15:30 pm

Would setting a marker help in the meantime?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremey Shelton
on Dec 17, 2015 at 11:01:49 pm

Has this not been corrected yet? Are there any workarounds? I've got some 4K footage and it would nice to be able to jump to the correct time in the piece for re-framing.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Dec 20, 2015 at 8:41:59 pm

If you are dealing with a compound clip there should not be any problems. This works flawlessly.

If you are dealing with a multicam clip and you need to reframe a cut, you can do this straight in the main timeline.
If you are dealing with a multicam clip and you need to reframe an entire angle, you can do this in the Angle Editor.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]