FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and Metadata

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Paredes
FCPX and Metadata
on Nov 12, 2014 at 3:47:39 pm

I just finished editing about 150 videos and exported to M4Vs. These videos will ultimately be available to consumers who buy a book.

Problem is: being new to FCPX I got curious and started inspecting the M4V's metadata using Metadata Hootenanny and see some unwanted metadata in there such as my name as well as tags I used in FCPX. I don't want consumers to see any of this and I'm sure neither does my client!

Other than using Quicktime's Properties window (CMD+J) as I don't look forward to doing each individually; Is there another tool out there that can do such thing?

I tried using Metadata Hootenanny to change this but it says it doesn't support M4Vs and that I have to choose a different format. Choosing 'Self Contained Movie' creates an MOV. Although the file size remains the same, God know what else it has changed.

How do you folks go about handling this? I searched for other tools that can handle metadata changes and didn't find any. Not to mention that it would have to have batch capabilities.

I also tried Adobe Bridge but couldn't figure out how.

There's got to be a way to do this! Would an applescript work?

As always, under a deadline :/

UPDATE: Even better, is there a way to specify in FCPX or Compressor which metadata is included when exporting?

Thanks!

Xavier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX and Metadata
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:09:55 pm

[Xavier Paredes] "Even better, is there a way to specify in FCPX or Compressor which metadata is included when exporting?"

I'm not sure how to edit metadata after the fact without creating a new movie (perhaps QT Edit can do it) but in FCPX, the metadata is right there in the info tab Share window when you go to export.

Simply delete everything but the title, like this:

Also, you can specify this in the "Share" tab of the inspector by selecting the Project, opening the inspector, click the Share tab, and delete everything but the title, like this:

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:16:58 pm

You can choose which keywords should appear as metadata tags in the fcpx export window.

regarding your already rendered files: you can use subler to remux the files without metadata. just open the file, choose passthrough for video and audio and delete all entries in the metadata tab.
https://code.google.com/p/subler/

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:23:12 pm

[Marco Feil] "regarding your already rendered files: you can use subler to remux the files without metadata."

Nice, Marco. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Xavier Paredes
on Nov 12, 2014 at 6:38:41 pm

Thanks gentlemen. Also in case it helps anybody else I figured out a way to do this in Metadata Hootenanny with the already exported files since I have 150 of them. It's a bit lengthy bc it covers two scenarios so here goes:

IF WORKING WITH MOVs:
Note: make a backup of all files first or test on a small group.

Open MOVs in Metadata Hootenanny:
Select all files in Main View (⌘\)
Change to Metadata and Info (⌘I)
Modify all info as needed
Save (⌘S)
Select all edited movies
Set destination for outputting new files.
Do one of the following:
‘Self Contained’ will create new copies (takes longer than ‘Save in Place’)
‘As Reference Movie’ don’t use this option. It creates alias-like files.
‘Save in Place’ will modify original files so make a backup if choosing this option.

IF WORKING WITH M4V (probably applies to MP4s or other file types as well):
Note: make a backup of all files first or test on a small group.

Open M4Vs in Metadata Hootenanny:
Select all files in Main View (⌘\)
Change to Metadata and Info (⌘I)
Modify all info as needed
Save (⌘S)
Select all edited movies
Set destination for outputting new files.
Choose Self Contained. This will create new copies and takes longer than ‘Save in Place’. This also changes file extension to MOV.
Note: Save in Place does not support M4Vs.
Change extension back to “.m4v”

Thanks.

Xavier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]