COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
Are these plugins usually good value?
on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:32:49 pm

http://www.fcpeffects.com/collections/entire-catalogue

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Are these plugins usually good value?
on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:48:47 pm

I have quite a few. Pay attention to the discounts. You can try these-

60% off any order with code: boo60
70% off orders over $99: boo70
75% off orders over $299: boo75
80% off orders over $599: boo80

Basically, order $600 of stuff for $120 through the 4th. Lots of good stuff there.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 3, 2014 at 10:49:26 pm

Thanx (-:
Favourites?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 3, 2014 at 11:19:52 pm

Not necessarily favorites, but I have screen splitter, quick and easy ken burns, lower 3rd title pack and print stacker. All are basically stuff that I used to do all the time manually, and these are so simple to use. Especially the Ken Burns one. That's almost a can't live without one now. But I think I got them because a client was exchanging projects and those were the ones she used. So I needed to be compliant to exchange seqeunces. There are others that look good, but I have something similar from somewhere else. The lower 3rd title pack is not much use, but I needed something to go over a price point to get a discount at the time. I have used one however!

A favorite I like for free is "bullet points" from motionmastertemplates.com. Doing multiple layers of text to get bullets to animate is always a pain. And it has to be done in the timeline for sync to the video and efficiency. A was about to take a stab at making my own bullet point template when a search found it. It lets you animate lines of text in the one simple layer/template in X.

A new fav stop is motionarray.com but they're AE templates. A neat pricing model. Monthly pricing, no contracts. Have lots of backgrounds, templates, music, etc. They're just getting started. A little baby Digital Juice. But you get a certain number of download credits a month. You can just buy a month's subscription for what you need and download and OWN (love that word) forever.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 4, 2014 at 7:41:40 am

Thanx!

Do they work fine on Yosemite?

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 4, 2014 at 9:37:09 am

I`m looking for a good photo slideshow plugin, With lots of presets. Do you use the Ken Burns plugin for this Bret? Or do you have other recomendations? I just can`t pay 199 dollars for the one from fx factory.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 4, 2014 at 5:29:20 pm

I have the ken burns. And as Robyn mentioned you could simply publish a bunch of basic moves, but it is a bit more than that. Without messing with keyframing you can choose easing, start position, end scale, whatever. Tons of settings you won't even need.

The thing I like about FCP effects that make their plugins very very quick to use is that the don't create ONE ken burns plug and leave you to choose a preset from a drop down. They give you 30 or so ken burns plugs - pan left, pan up, zoom in, zoom in ease, pan lower right to upper left, etc. if I want to zoom in and left I throw a pan left on and then throw on a zoom in.

And unlike keyframing, you can adjust the cut point after the fact, add transitions, and you don't need to adjust the Keyframes.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 4, 2014 at 5:20:21 pm

You could actually save even more (namely 100%) by simply learning the basics of Motion, since most of these and can be made in 2-20 minutes with medium Motion skills.

Some are in fact even just simple published effects (i.e. made in under 1 minute) that Motion and FCP don't share by default (for whatever reason).

Damn, I wish I had come up with the idea... :D

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 4, 2014 at 5:38:30 pm

Everything from these guys is actually more complicated than that. And they do have some more advanced plugs too for 3D and such. They rig up quite a few parameters that would take a little extra time. And eCh plug is actually 30 or so, so there would be quite a bit of publishing to do.

I know motion and I'm not going to recreate these myself. My time is more valuable than that vs the minimal cost. That said, I wish I'd thought of it too. Lots of people are selling the effects not included in X that are in Motion. Ripple has all the templates from Motion available as published rigged templates in X. At one point stupid raisins published all the text animation presets. You still have to rig up all the variables otherwise all you're going to be able to do in X is change the text.

I've been wanting to put together my AE projects as templates for years now but never get to it. I'm guessing there's not a ton of money in it unless you're a big player, but it'd be neat to get a little found money here and there.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:41:30 pm

[Bret Williams] "Everything from these guys is actually more complicated than that. "

I'll give you "some", but certainly not "everything". ;)

Adding in some extra color correction options (??!) into a wiggle effect and the likes is just padding for show and justification imho. But yes, if you're not already fairly proficient in Motion, then getting one of these for 29 bucks, that happens to do exactly what you're looking for, can very well make sense. I'm not implying they're useless, just that I personally would rather spend my money on things that I CAN'T do within 30 mins. myself (or AT ALL as in mObject or various FX Factory plugs). To each his own, relative to his skill and budget. :)

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 4, 2014 at 7:02:27 pm

I'm not saying FCPeffects is the end all, but much on FX factory isn't any better.

Even a simple effect like Print Stacker is quite the publishing job. And they publish 20 of them, each as a different custom move. And there's no starting effect in Motion that I know of. It's basically a border and move. Yes I can create that. 20 different moves all published and rigged? Even if I could do that in 30min, my time is still worth more than that.

Just for example - just like any other plugin... not exactly a hue and wiggle. What were you referring to? Seems like a fine value to me. And when you can buy $600 worth of this stuff for $120... I mean just how many plugins can create and publish for $120?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 4, 2014 at 7:34:13 pm

[Bret Williams] "but much on FX factory isn't any better."

Whether those or any other have any value is up to the individual. There are certainly many from FX Factory I'll never need or want either. The point was that I still couldn't or wouldn't make most of them even if I did. For example Ripple's "Tools". Could theoretically make them myself, but they're far to intricate to be worth the time, at least for a one-off. Well worth the investment.

[Bret Williams] "Even a simple effect like Print Stacker is quite the publishing job."

I don't see why. All instances are made from the same master imho, simply saved with different published parameters, current layer states and/or preset behavior.

And your screenshot proves my point. Take out the sharpen, brightness, sepia (?!) etc. etc. parameters, which are mere basic filters whose parameters have been published (that appear to be in all of their filters... I guess for the reasons I mentioned), then you're left with a fairly basic effect. I wouldn't even publish half that many parameters, therefore I'd be done even quicker and have something that suits my needs even more. I'd also use drop zones, so as not to have to stack endless clips for each move, but rather do it with one.

But again, it's up to everyone to figure out if and what it's worth to them personally. I've been with Motion since v1.0 so my personal pride wouldn't allow for the purchase of one of these. ;-D But I only speak for myself. If you don't know your way around Motion, then it most definitely makes more sense to buy one, sure!

OR you save the money, spend it on Motion, learn it over a few hours or days, build (or even modify) exactly what you need and save oodles in the long run. :)

But I think I actually WILL start selling my own, come to think of it! :D

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 4, 2014 at 8:03:02 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "But I think I actually WILL start selling my own, come to think of it! :D"

If you have the time you should. I'd love to see something like motionarray.com but for Motion/X. You should call it "AE"Array.com since they took "motion"array. I think their pricing structure is a great idea. Of course they have music and backgrounds too.

They're just a small company outside of Atlanta. They've been publishing AE stuff through revostock, pond5 and others and likely just decided to put out their own site.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 4, 2014 at 8:17:15 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 4, 2014 at 8:17:52 pm

[Bret Williams] "I'd love to see something like motionarray.com but for Motion/X."

I call that MotionVFX.com. ;D

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 5, 2014 at 3:41:42 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "You could actually save even more (namely 100%) by simply learning the basics of Motion, since most of these and can be made in 2-20 minutes with medium Motion skills"

This is what I mainly use Motion for. Starting to build a texture overlay effect. I just took a few random texture photos with my smart phone, will add some more later. From there, I am going to put those inside their own group in Motion, followed by publishing out a few simple rigs. This will then allow a basic choice of textures, blend modes and how intense the effect is.

Going to build some custom generators and transitions later this month.
With that money saved, I could save up for a new camera lens set and other essential stuff.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 5, 2014 at 7:27:21 am

Wow!
Great info here. I`ll just do both - buy some plugins and learn more motion. Money wise, it`s just about 10 dollars for these plugns with the discount, so I can afford it. Pride wise, at this moment I have no pride at all (-: I see ripple training has tutorials like rigging and publishing, and I guess that`s the best way to learn it.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:57:13 am

[Morten Slemdal] "I see ripple training has tutorials like rigging and publishing, and I guess that`s the best way to learn it."

Definitely. But you'll want to start with the "Fast Forward" first.

- RK

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Nov 5, 2014 at 12:03:46 pm

Aha! missed thatone - looks great!

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Feb 13, 2015 at 1:22:35 pm

HI!
The fast forward tutorial is removed (afais). Is that replaced With getting started?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]