FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need assistance trying to figure out technique with element solids

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Prim
Need assistance trying to figure out technique with element solids
on Nov 3, 2014 at 2:56:27 pm

Hey guys!

Just subscribed to the forum! looks awesome. I have a question about using solid elements that I could not figure out how to do last night and its eating at me. So I am trying to overlay a solid over a cropped jpeg waterfall. Both these images are over a background. the jpeg image, a waterfall jpeg that that I cropped so it is a long blue rectangle is behind a solid white rectangle from the effects browser. How do I hide the white solid to match with the background that way I have the waterfall rectangle behind it and then animate it to look like it is flowing down? It is kind of like masking but using a solid to make it look like something is coming out of it. Sorry if its a little confusing, but I need help!!! thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Need assistance trying to figure out technique with element solids
on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:15:57 pm

Yep... that is confusing :-)

You have a background. You have a cropped still of a waterfall. At the simplest level, you could just keyframe a crop to make that look like the waterfall was flowing down. What's the white rectangle for, or meant to represent?

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Gary Prim
on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:38:16 pm

Hey Jeff,

thanks for responding. Sorry if it was confusing. What I am doing is doing trying to animate in Final cut using drawings I have made and then making things move like clouds and waterfall. I have this scene where I made clouds out of the solid element in the effects window and just shaped it, pretty easy. Now with the water fall, I just made a long slim rectangle and put lighter streaks to make it look like water movement. so I want the waterfall to fall down but not have this blue huge rectangle cover the scene. So I am trying to cover it so I made another rectangle and thinking I could somehow put that in front of the water fall rectangle and then blend the rectangle with the scene, or like mask it so you cant see the waterfall one, only what what I want to be seen. then I would key frame the water fall to fall. maybe that helps, its killing me and got to know. I may have to send an image upload. I did it before but not sure if it was the same way.

thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:25:55 pm

Gary,

Some very basics. Like all NLEs X (even tho it's technically "trackless" still observes the standard that the higher an element is in a grouping, the more "in front" of other elements it will appear.

Next, X has ample chroma and luma key function in it's effects library. So you can easily make an element that's different (for example,your white rectangle) into a MASK between layers.

Finally, X also has a really nice array of mathematical compositing presets built into the program. Try selecting your waterfall and your rectangle then go to the Inspector and scroll down to Compositing and then click on the NORMAL box, and you'll be presented with a wide range of additive and subtractive blend modes. One of those might get you the effect you like.

You also might do a web search for some of the basic Ripple Training tutorials on basic chroma keying and compositing in X. There's a lot to learn.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 4, 2014 at 11:28:49 am

I'd say you'd be much better off getting down the basics of Motion and using that. FCP isn't a compositor and what you're doing is compositing. From what (I think) I understand you're trying to do it'd be much easier and faster to build in Motion.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]