FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and Yosemite how is it working out with plugins etc?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
FCPX and Yosemite how is it working out with plugins etc?
on Nov 1, 2014 at 1:20:32 pm

I am just wondering what luck editors are having with the new OS update.

Maybe we can get a list of problematic plugins.

Personally one plugin I don't want to be without is the new LUTutility. Has anyone upgraded and used this plugin?

Thanks in advance.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: FCPX and Yosemite how is it working out with plugins etc?
on Nov 1, 2014 at 7:54:01 pm

There have been a few threads about this already but LUT Utility is working fine for me under Yosemite, although I had a lot of issues with FCPX and Yosemite in general when I tried upgrading rather than a clean install. Prior to a clean install, FCPX would freeze when I tried using LUT Utility.

I can also confirm that the HyColour Pro 1.6 plugin works under Yosemite.

With Yosemite's changes to AV Foundation under the hood, I think you'll find the plugins most at risk are those like mObject and many from FX Factory that are more GPU intensive.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 4, 2014 at 8:46:07 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Nov 4, 2014 at 8:52:56 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "With Yosemite's changes to AV Foundation under the hood, I think you'll find the plugins most at risk are those like mObject and many from FX Factory that are more GPU intensive."

Hi Jeff

To my certain knowledge FxFactory have expended a lot of time and effort to make sure that everything would be up to speed for Yosemite well ahead of time (as they always do for all new OS releases).

I can't speak for other developers but we have also done extensive testing to make sure that our Hawaiki products (available exclusively through FxFactory) would also fully functional in Yosemite - again, well ahead of the official release of the OS.

http://hawaiki.co/index.html

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 1, 2014 at 8:12:33 pm

I find FCP X to be more responsive, stable and launch faster under Yosemite, not to mention the "cancelling background task" message is now gone, unless something was rendering upon exit.

On the Motion side of things, occasionally get the beach ball upon launch but for a split second. Under the last version of Mavericks, it was there 5 to 10 seconds.

One issue I did run into, operator error, was installing an older version of Resolve and the camera utility that came with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, was prompted that OS 10.6 or later was needed. Downloaded the most current version from the BMD website and installation went smoothly. It was simply operator error on my part.

I have yet to load Red Giant Universe back into the system, so will have to report on how that goes at a later time. So far, so good.

I did a clean install from the ground up just to prevent any issues that are common when installing over a prior version of the OS, just go to love those glitch gremlins.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 1, 2014 at 8:24:26 pm

We bit the bullet and decided to upgrade everything this week, with the exception of a single Mac Pro tube that is in the middle of projects. Biggest and most interesting thing was switching our 10gbe server connections to SMB instead of AFP. As others have said, it actually does seem much snappier now - and iTunes on the server is actually much improved.

I was stupid when setting up our network connections, but Bob Zelin pointed me in the right direction and all is well now. In terms of plugins, we have very few FCPX plugins so nothing has broken. After Effects on the big graphics computer has a metric ton of plugins, so that is part of why we waited on that specific machine.

All in all I'm actually please how well Yosemite has worked out for us. Your mileage may vary.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 2, 2014 at 12:32:22 pm

Hey John -

Did you do a clean install or run the update?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Nov 2, 2014 at 3:27:41 pm

I'm going to fact check doing a clean install by running the process by you guys to see if I have it correct.

New 2013 Mac Pro. Time Machine with current backup.

I think the process will be to do a clean install and then restore apps, documents and settings from backup.

If I'm not right about this please tell me now.

Thank you.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 2, 2014 at 3:42:51 pm

In my world a clean install is to clean install everything. Yeah it's a hassle, but since everything is cloud based its not like it was with discs. Once you start restoring, it's not clean anymore. Others may disagree.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:18:04 pm

If the mac was a little wonky to begin with we did clean installs. If it was fine we did upgrades. If you use box.com you will need to search the web for a terminal command. One machine is being cranky about Bluetooth mice. I would upgrade first. Then clean install if I had to.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 2, 2014 at 7:18:03 pm

I'd like to do a clean install of Yosemite and all purchased ap store apps on a 2009 mac pro. Been a while since I did this.
Three drives are my media raid.
I have the remaining system drive partitioned.
One is the system drive.
Two is a clone of the system drive.
Three is for old versions of OS X install programs and FCP 7 disks etc.

What I remember is that I can download the new OS.
Drag it out of the application folder.
Open up its contents and drag the installer program onto the storage partition.
I then boot from the back up system partition,
use disk utility to reformat the system partition
run the OS X installer on the freshly reformatted system drive.

Is this correct? The articles I see are all about terminal commands and the like and I don't remember needing to do all that.

PS I also have an external back-up of the system drive in case the physical drive dies.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 3, 2014 at 3:06:18 am

Yeah that worked. Now to get all the data moved to the new os drive manually. Though I'd imagine moving mail and safari stuff over with migration assistant should be fine.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 3, 2014 at 3:07:18 pm

I did the update on my MB_Air and it went very well. FCPX runs nicely. There was an update for iMovie that I did as well and it is very impressive. Projects seem to export over to X perfectly. Nice way to get folks used to the X-like interface for free before stepping up to the "pro" software.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]