FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird Artifact in Footage - FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Simoneau
Weird Artifact in Footage - FCPX
on Oct 27, 2014 at 12:41:48 pm

Hi guys,

Need your help. I'm currently editing a feature film. I'm currently editing in sections in each scene as my computer isn't fast enough to take care of that much footage in the timeline. It's been going great until I started color correcting or more importantly adding the LUT Utility plugin.

From time to time, I get these almost look-alike subliminal images and only last one frame. Some scenes have more than others, while some scenes rarely have any. Picture 1 is an example of what has been happening.

It gets weirder. The second image is weirder because it shows a frame of an image that does not even belong in that project or library. How can that even happen? Now I have to look through each and every scene as I am noticing these all over this project every time I used LUT Utility. In some cases, the unwanted image is super-imposed on the left hand side such as in Image 1 and sometimes on the right hand side like in Picture 2.

I did find a way to get rid of them however. This would consist of me deleting the problematic frame and then undoing the deletion and voila, no problem. But again, some scenes are 10-15mins long and there are alot of these bad frames. I can't do this for everything.

Has anyone seen of heard of this, and if so, has anyone heard of any solutions? I don't even know how to properly search for this problem.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Weird Artifact in Footage - FCPX
on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:24:31 pm

Sounds to me like the LUT Utility may need an update. Have you asked Color Grading Central about it? That would seem to be the first place to go. Especially since they have a "100% Satisfaction Guarantee". :)

What kind of footage is it? What's the original format and what are you editing? Optimised? Proxy?

- RK

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:38:12 pm

Hey RK,

I actually didn't think of sending CGC an e-mail but I am now in the process. I just wasn't sure if this was a FCPX issue or a plugin issue.

I should have mentioned for detailed specifications. I'm editing footage in 1080P Apple ProRes 422 HQ, using LUT Utility Osiris M31 to Log. FCPX 10.1.1. I am seeing these unwanted frame overlays in both the timeline and the exported file.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:45:25 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:46:33 pm

I would update to 10.1.3 first and foremost actually. Even though you're in mid-project. But there were several changes that may well help fix the problem AND it's noticeably faster. I haven't heard of any issues with that small of a jump either.

Alternately you could consider applying the LUT elsewhere e.g. in Resolve after you've locked picture. But I'd assume it's an issue with the LUT Utility, yes. Seems most likely. There are also other options for getting the same effect also that may or may not work better. For example http://www.vision-color.com/osiris/

- RK

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:52:42 pm

Thanks Robin.

I've been scared to update my FCP since it's been back to back projects and currently editing the feature. I wanted to wait right after I was done this one. Plus I just upgraded my storage to make sure everything was backed-up before hand. I'll also see if there is an update from LUT Utility. I'll see what they have to say as well.

I also have Resolve when I got my BlackMagic cam, however I can't even seem to look at footage in my library. Apparently my iMac 27 i5 w/16gb ram is too slow to run it which sucks big time. I'm not too familiar with the software but I tried even editing in 480p and still the library footage doesn't even come up or while scrubbing through the footage, I simply get static.

As for your other suggestion of getting the same effect another way, which way would that be? I thought Vision Color was the one who made it for LUT Utility? How else would I be able to go about this?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:57:44 pm

First, I would simply download and install the latest version of LUT Utility.

It's very easy to do. The latest version is v1.44. If you open your sys prefs and choose LUT Utility, what version is listed?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 5:03:40 pm

[Vincent Simoneau] "I thought Vision Color was the one who made it for LUT Utility?"

Ah, my bad. I assumed you were using Color Grading Central's utility. http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility

Like I said in the first post, first thing to check is VERSION i.e. if it's up to date.

- RK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 27, 2014 at 5:14:07 pm

[Vincent Simoneau] "I thought Vision Color was the one who made it for LUT Utility? How else would I be able to go about this?"

Vision supplies the Osiris LUTs. LUT Utility, the actual LUT engine, is made by Color Grading Central.

You can get both from either company, but it's sold by Color Grading Central: http://www.vision-color.com/osiris-fcpx/

or

http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:09:25 pm

Alright guys, after updating everything and speaking with Color Grading Central, they couldn't figure it out either. Here's what they responded:

My developer advises to work with images of a smaller resolution.

This is likely a bug in FCPX or OpenGL drivers as Apple never placed
any limitation on the size of an image processed in FxPlug.

What I've tried as mentioned above is that if I delete the affected frame and click undo, the image comes back to normal. However, when I did that with all the affected frames on my 3 mins clip and exported, the footage developed more issues than before.

I don't mind trying out with the above suggestion: working in a lower resolution, however how does that work? Can I work in a 720p timeline and still export 1080p ProRes 422 HQ without loss?

Any suggestions? I really need to finish this film.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:40:32 pm

What is your source footage?

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:53:36 pm

I'm using ProRes 422 HQ from Blackmagic Cinema Camera. I have to check tonight, but I'm pretty sure I clicked on Proxy Media in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:55:59 pm

i think we need to take a step back and evaluate your whole workflow.

I've used LUT Utility on higher than 1080 footage and it has been just fine, great, as a matter of fact.

Have you tried using the full resolution media instead of Proxy?

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Nov 12, 2014 at 8:00:04 pm

No I haven't yet. I will try.

Denver from Color Grading Central made me open up my Terminal screen after applying the LUT Utility and noticed an OpenGL Error. Here is what it said exactly:

2014-10-27 8:47:35.098 PM Final Cut Pro[2460]: *** OpenGL error 0x0506 (invalid framebuffer operation) in function "GL_CHECK_CURRENT_ERROR"

If that helps at all :S

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 12, 2014 at 8:01:05 pm

I would try using the full quality media. It's a button click and easy to do.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Vincent Simoneau
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:08:40 am

Hey Jeremy, I appreciate your help so far. I really need to finish this project and I can't seem to find the place where I can use the original media. I checked and I have Optimized Media checked. It's weird but when I remove the LUT Utility filter, the artifact disappears. I worked so hard on colour correcting every single clip, I really want to try to keep the effect on there.

How would I go about using the original media?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:52:56 am

The Proxy to Original/Optimized switch is in the Browser drop down menu, as well as playback quality.

I looked at your example screen grabs again and it almost looks like a bad field.

What is the format and frame rate of your footage?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]