FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to AE multiple roundtrips without loosing apart clip items.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Hunter
FCPX to AE multiple roundtrips without loosing apart clip items.
on Oct 23, 2014 at 4:05:23 pm

Dear,

I recently posted another FCPX thread, regarding the workflow with PluralEyes, it seems like I'm a little bit stuck using FCPX.
I can't get out, I love to work with FCPX, but for some more refined effects I really need to be able to work between FCPX and After Effects.
There is another thread like this: but it doesn't really gives the answer...

I exported the fcpXML of a project in FCPX, then opened it with the AEGP Plugin Pro importer, and then AE says: Unable to open selected file. (0:1100) ( 5027 :: 12)

Then I tried to open the fcpXML file with ClipExporter, and he says:

This project contains 9 retimed clip(s). Please note that retimed clips are only supported for After Effects export.

It's true there are some retimed clips, but that doesn't seems the issue, because even if I try the most simple project, only two clips in the timeline, it doesn't work with or without clip exporter.
It seems like I'm stuck :-s

I need to add effects in AE and later on refine the edit in FCPX, do the syncing in PluralEyes, the final mix in Logic Pro X,... A difficult workflow it seems, and it doesn't make it easier not to be able working between different softwares :-s
Maybe I'd better worked 100% Adobe, Premiere, AE, Audition, the workflow there should be fine, but now I'm already to far in this project to change everything to Adobe, and I love FCPX, it's so intuitive, even to key in FCPX is so easy and great, I get better results there then AE.

Could anyone help me? Please?! Thank you so much!
Merci!

Greets from France,

Susan

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: FCPX to AE multiple roundtrips without loosing apart clip items.
on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:18:54 pm

First off, you're sure it has to be AE? Have you ever looked at Motion? Since especially in the context of FCP X, that's a far better choice in terms of integration. Motion is FCP's AE. The functional overlap between the two is very big and it's practically free. If you're good at AE, Motion shouldn't have a very steep learning curve.

Either way, there's no way you're simply going to export an XML and have AE open it, no. What you need is Clip Exporter, yes. That will open the XML and create A JAVA SCRIPT which you need to run from within an AE project. Then it should work just fine. I've done it many times. Are you sure you're exporting your PROJECT and not maybe the EVENT? And using all the right settings in CE?

Return to posts index

Susan Hunter
on Oct 24, 2014 at 11:47:02 am

Thank you very much everyone!
It has to be After Effects, I like it way more then Motion, Motion doesn't seem to have a lot of advantages.
I guess I'll do it the way with ClipExporter, or just export the entire video file and open it that way in After Effects, otherwise I'll loose some greenscreen effects.
First I didn't know how to open the Java script, but now found it, thanks!

Then I'll just render everything in After Effects and open it again in Final Cut Pro X, and then to do the color correction or extra editing, I'll break appart the clip items manually :-s

Now I'll start to understand the Premiere vs FCPX fight, Premiere is better compatible in the Adobe monopoly but it's just that FCPX is better than Premiere I think....

It's a pity you need to go to so many different softwares to get what you want to: FCPX, After Effects, PluralEyes, Davinci, Protools or Logic Pro X, and many more.
Is this too how the film industrie works?
When will there be an all in one? We need this!

Anyone tips or have knowledge with PluralEyes?

I'm editing a feature film, two cameras and a zoom H6:
- 25fps 1080i
- 50fps 1080p
- Zoom H6 with built in stereo mic and extra mic

After making a project, editing in the timeline, I exported the XML files, started PE, opened new project from FCPX.
Then I get the following message: Import failed: Found both audio and video clips in a single lane.

Is there anyone out there who had/has the same problem, or who knows the solution?
Or do I have a bad workflow? I tried to synchronize everything first, but then PluralEyes was angry with me because I had two different frame rates.

See topic at: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/338/187

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 24, 2014 at 4:41:44 pm

[Susan Hunter] "Motion doesn't seem to have a lot of advantages."

If exponentially faster isn't an advantage, and NLE integration (and a list of other things), then...

[Susan Hunter] "It's a pity you need to go to so many different softwares to get what you want to: After Effects,"

No, there's Motion. But even PPro users "need" to go to AE for some stuff. I don't see the difference.

[Susan Hunter] "PluralEyes"

No, not in any way a necessity. X has its own synching built in.

[Susan Hunter] "Davinci, Protools or Logic Pro X"

No NLE on the market has all the abilities those do combined and never will. There's also nothing unusual about going to dedicated grading apps and DAWs etc. for finishing. FCP X is in no way an exception.

[Susan Hunter] "When will there be an all in one? We need this!"

No one company or software will ever be able to do ALL those things as well as each do individually. I at least do not need a bloated, buggy, convoluted all-in-one myself.

- RK

Return to posts index

Susan Hunter
on Oct 26, 2014 at 9:12:38 am

Dear Robin,

Thank you very much for your good advice.
You're totally right we don't need an all in one program, but at least we need a very easy workaround between different programs.
Like Logic, FCPX and Motion should be able to work together as the Adobe package.
But it's a shame and a pity that it's hard or impossible to even roundtrip between fcpx and Motion.

I have a car chase scène where I need to add muzzle flashes, explosions with tracking,... I need to go from FCPX to Motion, and back with keeping different clips, for later on color correction.

First when you told about Motion I was a bit sceptic, because I love to work with AE, but you're right Motion isn't that bad after all, au contraire.
I checked it out, but to my biggest surprise, it's impossible to roundtrip between FCPX and Motion.
There is no send to motion button in FCPX as there was in FCP7. So to work with AE and Motion, would be pretty much the same, I fear :-s

So now I'll try this: https://finalcutprox.net/blog/fcpx-send-to-motion-0.9.3.zip and hope it'll work.

Kind regards,

Susan

Return to posts index

Susan Hunter
on Oct 26, 2014 at 9:23:10 am

Ps. I know FCPX has a build in feature to sync audio, but to di it for thousand clips it is a bit labour intensive, hence I'd like to use PluralEyes.
But do you perhaps know what the error message tells me? I can't find it on the internet.
Danke Schön!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 26, 2014 at 10:04:11 am

[Susan Hunter] "I have a car chase scène where I need to add muzzle flashes, explosions with tracking,..."

Then you might want to look into Slice and/or TrackX: http://www.coremelt.com/reviews/news/160-trackx-bundles-upgrades-and-tips.h... then you wouldn't need either AE nor Motion.

[Susan Hunter] "But do you perhaps know what the error message tells me?"

Are you sure you have the most recent version? Have you checked? That's the only issue I'm aware of with PE: too old and it doesn't understand the most recent version of FCPXML.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:20:11 pm

What version of AE? You can't open FCPXML in Premiere. Only regular XML. You'll need to convert to regular XML with Xto7 app. Then, you can use AE CS6 and above to import directly. Clip exporter should be able to do a similar job. Not sure about your errors there.

In either case there's no roundtrip capability. You'll need to render out as a quicktime and bring that back into FCP X. You can drop it in above the edit for reference. That's what I usually do. Audio shouldn't come into play with AE. You might use it for reference, but keep the audio mixing in X or Logic or Protools.

There was a time, when you could roundtrip to Motion in the same way you can roundtrip in Premiere/AE, but those days are long gone. They went away with FCPX.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:24:05 pm

[Bret Williams] "There was a time, when you could roundtrip to Motion in the same way you can roundtrip in Premiere/AE, but those days are long gone. They went away with FCPX."

Not actually true. The only thing that went away, is the SEND TO from the timeline. Aside from that Motion is in fact integrated even much tighter and deeper with FCP X than it ever was with 7.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:47:56 pm

Hey I agree. Rigging and publishing are great. But they're mostly a one way trip starting in motion. Even if you make an awesomely rigged project that resides as a template in your generators or titles, once you put that in a timeline and make all your adjustments, it's set in stone except for the text variables. IOW if you want to make further changes, your option is to "open in motion" the template in the browser, but you still have to replace the existing one in the timeline, and any adjustments to rigged/published elements are lost except for the text.

We don't only need "send to motion," but we also need "open in motion" templates/titles/generators that are in the timeline.

But in the case of having a lengthy edit of 9 shots or so, and needing to send them to motion/AE and get them back and then be able to edit them again, we don't have anything close. Send to motion would be the first step. Edit/Open motion would be the next.

They need to move the motion projects out of the movies folder and allow them to reside anywhere. Perhaps another selection in the Library Properties inspector for effects and templates so they can reside either globally in the user movies folder or be Library based and reside externally or within the library. That'd sure solve some exchange problems!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:59:24 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 23, 2014 at 6:02:23 pm

[Bret Williams] "But in the case of having a lengthy edit of 9 shots or so, and needing to send them to motion/AE and get them back and then be able to edit them again, we don't have anything close. Send to motion would be the first step. Edit/Open motion would be the next. "

Absolutely. I also think that the only one of the five options you have for creating a project in Motion, namely just plain PROJECT, will only be further ignored by FCP X (as in completely incompatible) for only so much longer. I'm pretty sure that all of what you describe will become possible via the "normal" project at some point or another and probably even more. I'm just guessing it's no small feat. Especially since the two teams aren't even in the same city and just barely in the same state. :)

I'm just pointing out that saying integration/exchange somehow "went away" as a whole with 7, as I took it to mean, is a gross overstatement. It just simply has changed (a lot). Partly for the worse, but overall for the better IMHO (with a lot of room to grow).

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]