FORUMS: list search recent posts

unlink video and audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cindy konits
unlink video and audio
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:27:29 pm

I have a series of still frames in my timeline with a single audio track beneath it. I need to be able to move the entire video track as a whole while the audio track remains in place and then I will need to trim the still frames to edit them to the beat of the audio track, that is, extend still frames and shorten others - can't remember if this is a ripple or roll edit - haven't been editing in awhile - but I need to know how to do both. I greatly appreciate anyone's help getting up to speed with fcp x, since I don't seem able to figure it out myself :-(. wish I could!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: unlink video and audio
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:52:59 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:55:57 pm

Hi Cindy.

The easiest way is to do the following.

Put your playhead at the very beginning of the track and tap Option W to insert a Gap clip at the first frame then drag its ending edge to make it really small.

If your incoming soundtrack is already linked to the visuals, you can separate it by selecting the clip and using Break Apart Clip Items in the Clip Menu.

Now drag the audio so that it's connection point attaches to that small GAP clip . This will serve to "pin" the audio track to the Gap clip so it's fixed in time.

Then you can use the magnetic storyline to lay down your visuals as you like. You can stay in Select mode (A Key) and extend individual edges of your visuals, OR go into Trim mode (T key) to roll the edges between your clips for timing, that's up to you. There are also plenty of keyboard shortcuts for trim head or trim tail if you want to play to a point using JKL and then top or tail an edit, so you don't have to mouse around too much, but that's up to you.

That should get you started.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 10:59:19 am

Actually, the easiest might be to simply use your AUDIO as your primary, since that apparently is your primary guide.

If you select everything you have in the primary now and hit ⌥⌘↑ everything will be lifted from the primary into a secondary storyline. Your primary should now have a large gap clip in it, which you could either simply leave there and continue or, for more "visual cleanliness" replace with your audio from the event. And seeing that your stills should now be in a secondary storyline you can still reap the benefits of the magnetic timeline. Only you need to have it selected if you want to e.g. use the Q, W or E keys. That way even if you move the audio the stills stay in the same relation to the audio and if you move or edit the stills the audio stays put. :)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 23, 2014 at 4:46:25 am

You could put the audio on the primary storyline, play the music and place markers at the beats. Close your eyes and hit M at each beat. Then connect the stills and trim them to the markers. You could do this as individual connected clips or as a secondary story line leave your visual sequence as is and trim each clip to the marker rippling the remaining clips.

Just put your mouse at the cut and make sure the little film strip is on the left side of the edit. Trim the out point of the clip to align with the marker. Then move down to the next edit point and repeat.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

cindy konits
on Oct 23, 2014 at 1:49:45 pm

Hi, thanks for this. Of course the method you described of trimming to the marked beats is exactly what I was aiming for but couldn't get to it and still can't trim the video track independent of the audio track, even with the generous attempts of a few people to make suggestions on COW. To you and others, I'm sorry but I have no idea what 'primary and secondary story line' refers to! Remember, my last editing years were with FCP 7. I've become so desperate I even oped Adobe Premiere to try to accomplish this SIMPLE editing task and I'm amazed that Premiere at least LOOKS like an EDITOR!!! However in Premiere I can't get the waveform to show up on the audio track... What has happened to video editing?? How do you guys function?? I admire your initiative!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:08:51 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:30:56 pm

[cindy konits] "How do you guys function??"

I'll go out on a limb and say: we actually learn what we are using (at least the most basic basics, which is what we're talking about here) before we do actual work with it.

And sorry, but had you followed my instructions, you'd presumably quickly understood out what a "secondary" is. If you had followed any of the instructions here for that matter, it should be working as needed. So... oh well...

Return to posts index

cindy konits
on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:41:09 pm

I think your response suggests you have taken offense to my comments, which is not what I intended. I do admire your initiative and flexibility to adapt to an entirely new platform.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:33:25 pm

The only thing that's "offending", is when people ask for help, are given three very well described and useful options and the only response is "but couldn't get to it", which is a completely useless "error message" to work with. Had you spent less time lamenting about how the world has changed around you and more with describing what exactly isn't working and why, we'd be at a position to move further. Anything else is a discouragement for anyone to offer help. It becomes a monologue.

There is an utter abundance of videos on the subject also, which I would highly recommend taking a look at first next time, so you at least have a minimum of basics under your belt which you are clearly missing. Be it something like this

(which amongst other things explains part of what I already have and what a secondary is) or just plain, good ol': http://bit.ly/1scVQ24

Better yet: http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/apple-pro-apps-tutorials/final-cut...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:06:05 am

I just put a song on the primary storyline by its lonesome. Went to 1:30:00 and placed a marker. What am I missing?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 27, 2014 at 8:55:55 am

[Craig Alan] "What am I missing?"

You're referring to what exactly?

- RK

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 28, 2014 at 4:37:00 am

that in the video he says you can't add markers on an audio only primary storyline. thus he lifts it and applies markers to the long gap clip which is now aligned to the connected audio clip.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:23:25 am

[Craig Alan] "he says you can't add markers on an audio only primary storyline. "

No he doesn't. He says he'd like to place a marker at 1:30, but "unfortunately FCP doesn't allow for that". He was alluding to the fact that you can't place TIMELINE markers as a time reference. Apparently that was a bit to vague. Marking the clip would obviously not make a lot of sense.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:55:48 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Marking the clip would obviously not make a lot of sense."

Dummy it down for me. Why would placing a marker at a downbeat not help align a visual connected clip?
And how is the marker in my screen shot above not at 1:30:00?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:59:55 pm

[Craig Alan] "Why would placing a marker at a downbeat not help align a visual connected clip?"

Because he's not marking the downbeat. He's marking the overall program length he wants to end at.

- RK

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 29, 2014 at 5:20:15 am

Ok. Follow that, So why not trim the song to the length you want to end at and then place markers on the song?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:43:56 am

Something tells me you didn't get the whole point of the clip. Did you actually watch it to the end?

- RK

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 30, 2014 at 4:09:06 am

Nope. I was assuming it was an example/suggestion answering the OP's question. I thought, and maybe I'm wrong, that she needed to trim visuals to a fixed song track that I think was embedded in a AV clip. And yes I misunderstood his opening remarks that you can't set a marker on the timeline itself rather than a clip in the timeline.

Interesting. I remember in the debate forum that early on David Lawrence was pointing out that the then new FC used relative time rather than absolute time and that he found that problematic I didn't quite follow that then but this link kinda brought that memory up. The gap clip does seem to act as a workaround if you need to use the timeline as a track of absolute time. Great link. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 29, 2014 at 2:48:57 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Marking the clip would obviously not make a lot of sense."

Dummy it down for me. Why would placing a marker at a downbeat not help align a visual connected clip?
And how is the marker in my screen shot above not at 1:30:00?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 24, 2014 at 5:12:51 am

[cindy konits] "still can't trim the video track independent of the audio track"

The stills are embedded in a video composed of stills? Is this a downloaded movie?

Can you show us a picture of your current timeline and we can tell you how to break the audio part from the visual and then the visual can be trimmed independently. Bill actually told you already but if break apart is greyed out then just detach audio will do the trick as well.

Here's the thing: in FCP X there is a primary story line that is represented by a darker "TRACK" when empty.

Other clips are attached to it with a little tail. The tail attaches a clip to the primary clip so if the primary clip moves so does the attached clip.

There are projects when other NLEs might have 15 or more tracks and X might not meet the needs of someone working with that complexity. Particularly if they were very skilled and experienced with track based editing. But stills set to the beat of a music layer is super easy in FCP X.

Do you know how to post a pic on the cow? If you posted a screen grab of your current timeline we could explain how to edit the visual part from the audio. It's really pretty simple. I teach students to do rough cuts in a couple of minutes. Literally. Granted I do the media management for them. And each step requires another couple of minutes.

If you don't know how to post a screen grab then select a clip and look under the clip menu and choose detach audio. If you leave the visuals in the primary story line - the darker track - then follow Bill's instructions.

Read this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12633

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]