FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 10.1.3 Proxy Mode RED EPIC 5K

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Azinheira
FCP X 10.1.3 Proxy Mode RED EPIC 5K
on Oct 21, 2014 at 3:54:45 pm

Hi, I'm starting a project shot in RED EPIC 5K. I did everything by the book. Updated to FCP X 10.3.1; installed all the RED Workflow plugins then: 1- Save RMD from REDCINE; 2- Import media to FCP X 3- Transcode media do proxy. But now I can't find the old preference 'Work With Proxy Media' on the preference panel. The first clip I drag to the timeline always bring a window asking if I want to work in 5K.
I need to edit this in proxy 1080p. Can you guys please help? Thank

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
Re: FCP X 10.1.3 Proxy Mode RED EPIC 5K
on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:12:40 pm

You set your timeline to proxy from the Viewer display options. Upper right corner of the Viewer window.

Return to posts index

Alexandre Azinheira
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:42:37 pm

thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:41:02 pm

Working on a 5K project now. I just imported the R3D files, leaving them in place on the raid. Made the proxies within FCP X. Working in proxy mode. All is well.

Not sure the REDCine step is necessary, as I can get access to the R3D metadata via the inspector. Or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 11:05:46 am

[Jeff Markgraf] "Not sure the REDCine step is necessary"

If you want way more options for your one-light than the rather rudimentary ones that FCP offers, then it is, yes. ;)

Return to posts index

Alexandre Azinheira
on Oct 22, 2014 at 11:49:27 am

es, you should save the RMD first so you can go back to the raw file for grading. This is an essencial step.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 12:24:16 pm

[Alexandre Azinheira] "you should save the RMD first so you can go back to the raw file for grading."

Well, as far as that's concerned, it's not in fact essential, no. REDCine merely offers more options as I said. An RMD is generated by FCP X as well if you modify anything in the RED RAW Settings panel of any given clip. In fact any and all changes you make in FCP X will carry over 100% to REDCine, Resolve et al. So you could in fact do your rough one-light in FCP to then fine-tune it in one of the other two afterwards as well. So yes, going through REDCine at any point is little more than just a personal preference, but not in any way essential.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Oct 22, 2014 at 6:50:12 pm

My scenario assumes coloring in Resolve. Now, I've never used Resolve, so maybe I misunderstand the workflow. If I send my finished FCP edit to Resolve via XML, does it not deal with the original R3D files on my raid? If so, then why do the intermediate RedCine step?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:06:52 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "does it not deal with the original R3D files on my raid?"

Yes, it does.

[Jeff Markgraf] "why do the intermediate RedCine step?"

Again... simply personal preference for some, be it for a (better) one-light to use in FCP or what not else.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]