FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media "missing" unless SDHC card connected!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Morris
Media "missing" unless SDHC card connected!
on Oct 18, 2014 at 8:52:48 pm

I always do same import routine to a library located in an attached external HD. Never had this happen before. After importing a clip and using it in a project, after I removed the SDHC card, the clip and the portions used in the project gave me the red "Missing Media" warning. I opened the archive, looked in the original media folder, and low and behold, it hadn't actually imported the clip. FCP was apparently getting media info directly from the SD - which I don't really understand as I had assumed it was using an optimized version created during the import. The bottom line is that even though I did a reimport and my clip is now where it should be, in the library itself, I still get the missing media warning every time I remove the SD card. Relinking doesn't work; if I select the "Missing Media" clip to do a relink there are no files listed in the dialogue box that pops up. I'm about at the pulling-hair-out stage after a few hours of various permutations of opening / closing the project / several reimports, etc etc! Any clues as to a fix guys?

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
Re: Media "missing" unless SDHC card connected!
on Oct 18, 2014 at 9:01:09 pm

The power of Earl Grey.

I just went and made a cup of tea, came back and the thing seems to have fixed itself. Yikes! The mysteries of metadata. But why did I have to endure this madness in the first place?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 19, 2014 at 12:23:15 am

Because it wasn't done importing? Was it a long clip?

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
on Oct 19, 2014 at 12:41:38 am

It was only about 2 mins. But I think you have nailed it, Bret! That makes perfect sense - I was in a rush to get the project finished and exported.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 19, 2014 at 4:30:22 pm

[Terence Morris] "I was in a rush to get the project finished and exported."

Yes, the classic and ever reoccurring error. The fact that FCP lets you get to work (and finish it) so fast trips *itself* up. Oh the irony.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]