FORUMS: list search recent posts

Original media from HDV to FCPX to Adobe Premier?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude Lyneis
Original media from HDV to FCPX to Adobe Premier?
on Oct 18, 2014 at 8:46:57 pm

For a student project that was shot in HDV, I used FCPX in capture the data. It works great in FCPX, but the student wants to edit in Adobe Premiere, which does not recognize the the file, called original media in FCPX library. It opens in Quicktime on my Mac and the inspector calls it a quicktime movie, Format HDV 1080i60, 1440 x 1080, Linear PCM, 32 bit little-endian floating point, 48000 Hz, Stereo. FPS 29.97. It seems to be a codec issue (his PC and Premiere). Is there a way to rewrap it or something that leaves the media the same, but will allow him to open it?

I sent it through FCPX and compressor and then he could open it, but that is not the original data from the camera.

The other solution is from him to capture again from the tape, but he doesn't have firewire, which is needed for the old fashioned capture from tape.
Thanks, Claude Lyneis

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Original media from HDV to FCPX to Adobe Premier?
on Oct 19, 2014 at 12:26:00 am

Does he have QuickTime installed?

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Oct 19, 2014 at 1:48:50 am

He said he had QuickTime 7 installed. I am not sure whether Quicktime or Quicktime 7 is the way to go, at this point.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:03:37 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:04:59 am

This issue is due to Apple not including the HDV component in the Windows version of QuickTime. It's only part of the ProApps Codecs package you download after buying FCP X. So unless you or he want to e.g. purchase the Calibrated{Q} XD Decoder for PCs which allows you to read QuickTime XDCAM and HDV QuickTime video files, you're left with having to transcode first.

Which shouldn't actually be a big deal, seeing that pretty much any newer codec is better than HDV. ;)

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:47:12 pm

Thanks, that clears up the mystery. Now, I guess I need to figure out the best way to convert the file to something Premiere and his PC can deal with. My goal would be to not degrade the original HDV files by scrunching it in compressor. Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:59:14 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "My goal would be to not degrade the original HDV files by scrunching it in compressor."

:-D How exactly could one degrade HDV any further?? Even higher data-rate H.264 is better. ;)

No, but seriously folks... if size isn't a big deal, why not simply transcode to ProRes? Even LT should be more than enough. And if I'm not mistaken, READING ProRes is standard even with QT for Windows.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 9, 2014 at 10:40:15 am

Yes, transcode to ProRes or another codec that is standard. A lot of people like 50mbit XDCAM (MXF OP1A) too which is about half of ProRes in size but still good looking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]