FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIgital Juice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton Moore
DIgital Juice
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:37:15 pm

I'm looking for thoughts on using Digital Juice (before buying). If you use it or have used it...Id appeciate any thoughts you might have.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: DIgital Juice
on Oct 18, 2014 at 7:20:50 pm

For awhile there there was a nice demo of the new site. Now it seems you have to signup sight unseen. But their stuff is as good as any template, background site. And the demo did look pretty slick. If you use this sort of thing a lot, then the price is hard to beat. Unfortunately the $259 for life doesn't give you any projects for X or Motion. Gotta get the $500 for life plan for that.

I notice that X and Motion are way down in the list. AE templates are at the top. They've always had more AE templates than Motion. But maybe that's changed with the new site and model.

A nice new subscription site for AE templates and more is motionarray.com . Cheap and no contracts either. Licensing is great too. Own them and use them all you want, unlike many sites like videoHive or motionvfx where it's a one project use license.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 19, 2014 at 11:33:17 pm

I used Digital Juice products in the past when you could "own" them and their quality is pretty good. Some of the SD stock video libraries left a lot to be desired but their HD video libraries seem to be very good quality. The motion graphics are really good quality. I also liked their royalty free music. The only thing I don't like is their subscription model so I don't buy from them anymore.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:45:15 pm

You still own them. It's not a subscription like universe or Adobe where they stop working when you stop paying. At least for backgrounds and templates. From what I see you get to download a certain amount of stuff per month for a certain price. The $500 lifetime Pilot deal they're offering is 15gigs of the stuff listed per month. Considering a template from others is usually 300megs or so that could be 30 templates a month. But you don't get the fonts or the new interactive apps like Aqua for designing looks and all.

But do some researching. There's a lot of people weary of DJ right now. They've moved to india. They aren't previewing the site any longer. They're responding hardly at all on their FB page. Some rumors it's a cash grab and then shut down.

The latter seems odd since they're worked so hard on this new site but could be possible.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 20, 2014 at 11:25:04 pm

[Bret Williams] "Some rumors it's a cash grab and then shut down. "
Even worse than a subscription. That's the first thing I said when I saw the offer. Who's "life" mine or theirs. lol.

Seriously. I figured their new model is not working which is why they've changed it already. That's a bad sign that they are headed for trouble. Count me out!

~jr

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:40:43 am

They haven't eve started their new subscription thing yet. Unless you want to be a early adopter of sorts.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:06:19 am

[Bret Williams] "They haven't eve started their new subscription thing yet. Unless you want to be a early adopter of sorts."
No, I'm pretty sure they started earlier this summer and apparently it failed. They had the most convoluted system I have ever seen. No one could understand what their model was. They were selling content at $1 each with a base subscription fee. For example, on their Music Stack Tracks there is usually about 14 songs with :10, :15, :30, :60, & full lengths. I asked if the $1 per piece of media was for the song in all it's lengths. They replied, NO! each length is $1 so all of them is $5. Now you take $5 per song times 14 songs and the Stack Tracks Music they were previously selling for $24.99 is suddenly $70.00!!! PLUS you Paid a Subscription for the Honor of paying more!!! They defended it by saying that you could only buy what you needed so it was cheaper. I said no thanks your model is severely broken.

This new thing is the second time they are doing this which means the first one must have failed. Not even allowing anyone on their site is rather strange. That's no way to sell content.

BTW, Don't sign up for their mailing list unless you love being spammed at least 3 times a day with sale emails. I'm not kidding, first it was once a week, then it was once a day, and when I cancelled their mailing list I was deleting several emails (3 - 4) from them every day. It was ridiculous!

~jr

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:20:13 am

i think all of that was early adopter. The new store was supposed to officially start in October is what it always said. That's when the old site was going to close. And yeah, a lot of people (just read their FB page) took the early deals which actually sounded pretty decent to me - $250 gets you a $250 certificate to the old stuff, plus $250 to the new store and free membership for a year I think it was. So yeah, the standard pricing might have been just as silly as other subscriptions, but the entry pricing was certainly worth it. As time went on they upped it to $1000 in the old store I think. Then, recently they switched the bait to this current one for "pilot" members which only includes varying levels of content. But there's no $1 pricing scheme. However you don't get access to all the supposedly cool design apps like Aqua. No thanks anyway. If I need funky text I've got mobject or other tools I own.

So it's still tempting. I can blow $500 pretty easy on templates and plugins if I tried. So being able to downlad 15gigs worth a month for awhile even if they do go out of business in the near future can't be all that bad.

But certainly something fishy is going on. Or it's a last ditch attempt to pay their bills and stay afloat. And since it's already october and I don't see any mention of when the store is going to open with regular ala carte pricing like they promised, I'd say they're headed for problems.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:26:07 am

OK, Maybe it was all early adopter stuff then. If their forums were still open you could have read all about the confusion with the $1 per media stuff. I just ignored them from that point on. I have lots of content from them that I still use so I don't regret any of my purchases from them. It was well worth it. I wish them well but it does sound like a last ditch effort to raise money.

~jr

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:29:26 am

They had good stuff, but were constantly losing my sales to revostock or motion vfx because I had to wait for a DVD to come in the mail.

Their whole site is basically non existant except for the home page deal theyre offering. But no more shots of the new site. No promo video. No forum. All very suspect.

Anyone who joins should download all they can while they can.

Return to posts index

Clayton Moore
on Oct 21, 2014 at 3:11:55 pm
Last Edited By Clayton Moore on Oct 21, 2014 at 3:13:02 pm

Great observations all. One of the manor problems looming is "support" If in re-launching their new model, they are hoping for 2,500-5,000 new customers just to start out, they had better be able to finance the support infrastructure for that customer base. Not even a Forum? Thats a basic tool of support these days.

If they sell both of those early adoter plans they offer, they raise just under 2 million _____ then what? In the world of technology thats barely lunch money. The quality of the products aside there are more questions then answers here it seem to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]