FORUMS: list search recent posts

You know what would really speed up my edits - timeline audio gain

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
You know what would really speed up my edits - timeline audio gain
on Oct 18, 2014 at 1:19:53 pm

So I would say one feature that would save me the most time of any is quite simple. Allow us to add gain to the overall timeline. Why? Proper audio levels for field capturing are much lower than the actual deliverable audio level. Often more than the 12db of clip gain can boost.

I spend a lot of time adding the "Gain" audio effect and tweaking. Either a key command to add of 10db of gain or an overall timeline gain setting would save me a ton of time.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: You know what would really speed up my edits - timeline audio gain
on Oct 18, 2014 at 1:36:59 pm

I agree with you that a timeline gain would be awesome.

But at least there's now relative and absolute DB adjustments. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12576

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:00:29 pm

Agreed

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 19, 2014 at 5:24:07 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Either a key command to add of 10db of gain or an overall timeline gain setting would save me a ton of time."

Like Jeremy said, there's always the relative levels adjustment. Select all and CTRL-L.

But I, too, am hoping for role based master faders or the likes in future updates, yes. I'm pretty sure there's still a lot to come in terms of audio in particular.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 19, 2014 at 7:53:07 pm

Totally agree we need a "master" volume control, and I'm pretty sure it will come.

In the meantime you can indeed use relative level adjustments, or you can turn your edit in a compound clip which will allow you to globally adjust the "master" volume, to keyframe it where needed and to apply master effects such as limiting or compressing.

Or export your project as XML and import the XML in Logic Pro X to do your audio mixing and mastering. If you use Roles the latest versions of FCX and LPX work perfectly together, even with complex projects.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 20, 2014 at 1:38:29 pm

Ronny. Are you suggesting:

Turn the entire timeline into a compound clip, adjust the audio first to the entire clip and then key frame adjustments then perhaps break apart the compound to continue editing?

If so, I've always been reluctant to turn an entire project into a compound. Maybe I'm just not adjusting to Fcp x workflow?

Isn't there a way to apply the gain effect to the entire timeline leaving the volume bar for further adjustment?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 20, 2014 at 3:09:06 pm

Hi Craig,

The compound clip workflow only works if your edit is done and you want to make some final adjustments to the global audio (such as gain, limiting, master compression) before exporting. Breaking apart the compound clip is not useful in this case because when you break apart a compound clip you lose all the effects that have been applied to the compound. However, you can always open a compound clip in its own timeline and make final touches to the clips inside it without losing the general adjustments you have applied to the CC.

But there are other methods to apply a general gain boost to multiple clips on your timeline.

- If this is audio that has been recorded with the video you can apply a Gain filter to the first clip on your timeline, adjust the gain for that clip and use Paste Attributes to paste the adjusted Gain filter to all the other clips that need gain boosting. Then you can use the Volume slider in the Audio tab of the Inspector to fine tune the volume on a specific clip or on multiple clips at once.

- Or you can select all your clips on the timeline that need a gain boost and in the Inspector > Audio tab go Audio Enhancements. There you click the little blue arrow to open the Audio enhancement parameters and you use the Loudness sliders to boost the gain of all the clips at once.

Here you see two clips of which the audio was recorded rather low:

And these are the same two clips with their audio boosted using the Audio Enhancement tool:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:02:48 pm

I also find (and this is a bit more complicated, read: happy accident) that there's two gain stages in each clip.

You have the main gain on the whole clip, and then you can expand audio components to have another 12db of gain (if you need it).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:15:24 am

Thanks Ronny and Jeremy -- great tips. I use the gain filter to pre-boost and then the volume bar with keys frames as needed. But on a long timeline shot at a conservative gain to allow for overhead I could see needing a global. Increase first.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Oct 22, 2014 at 8:36:50 pm

Not sure if this was explicitly mentioned or not, but you can also just select all the clips in your NON-compound timeline hit CNTL-L and add (or subtract) some db overall. All levels will be raised (or lowered) that much - including keyframes.

No need to compound to get a "master volume" effect.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2014 at 4:31:47 am

So, in addition to using the adjust relative volume command, I just found you can select all, and control + or control - and this will adjust the levels of all clips down plus or minus 1db.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Aug 18, 2015 at 2:06:08 pm

Just touching base: is there still no master volume control? I now I can select all and do Cntrl + or -. But a master volume would be easier....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 18, 2015 at 5:30:21 pm

[Noam Osband] " is there still no master volume control? I"

Correct. There is still no master volume control.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]