FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy files missing after relinking

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiri Fiala
Proxy files missing after relinking
on Oct 15, 2014 at 9:28:35 pm

I have created proxy files on a drive (Drive A) on one computer. They work fine. I then copy all the media (including the Proxy files in "Final Cut Proxy Media" folder created by FCPX) to another drive (Drive B) that I want to edit from on another computer.

On this other computer, I relink to the files on Drive B. Now, Proxy files are all offline and there is no way to reconnect them.

How do I solve this? Does it mean I need to re-create Proxy files on the other computer too?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Proxy files missing after relinking
on Oct 15, 2014 at 9:30:26 pm

Are you in proxy mode on the other computer?

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Oct 15, 2014 at 9:33:00 pm

Yes I am. "Proxy files offline". AFAIK there is no way to relink Proxies specifically, nor there is a way to manage where they're stored.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 15, 2014 at 9:46:11 pm

You can consolidate proxies (along with original) out of the library.

Where is the second library media location pointing to?

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Oct 16, 2014 at 7:33:17 am

The folder structure on both drives is exactly the same.

I see this is an issue with current version of FCPX, as Richard Taylor points out in his wish list: http://fcpx.tv/Pages/waitingonfcpx4.html

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2014 at 4:24:29 pm

[Jiri Fiala] "The folder structure on both drives is exactly the same. "

But where is the Library pointing to for media?

As Robin says, this is all doable. Quit FCPX.

On Computer A, you dupe the Library on Finder level and move it to drive B.

Open the Library from Drive B on Computer A, set a media location for Library B on Drive B, and use FCPX to consolidate the media to drive B.

Take Drive B to computer B and everything should be linked.

(An alternative to this is to make a new library on Computer A, set media locations to drive B, and copy events from Library A to Library B, and then consolidate Library B to Drive B).

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 16, 2014 at 4:46:18 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 17, 2014 at 8:31:51 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "… you dupe the Library on Finder level and move it to drive B. Open the Library from Drive B…"

No, again, I would not recommend doing that. You'll most likely get a "Duplicate IDs" error anyway and will only be able to open one of the two. Simply let FCP do the managing by copying the needed Event to a new library that you can simply save to Disk B. Simple and completely hassle-free and even with less clicking.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2014 at 5:07:48 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "o, again, I would not recommend doing that. You more than likely will get a "Duplicate IDs" error anyway and will only be able to open one of the two."

It's simply not true, but your method is just fine too.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 16, 2014 at 5:16:53 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's simply not true,"

It is actually. "Most likely" being the key. Not always (no idea why), but why risk it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2014 at 6:19:45 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "It is actually. "Most likely" being the key. Not always (no idea why), but why risk it."

I guess I live on the edge and dupe Libraries in the Finder all the time, haven't seen any problems.

Mileage may vary.

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Oct 16, 2014 at 11:53:49 pm

Library files are largely just project files. You should be able to duplicate them without any issues. Footage and any managed files are a different story.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 17, 2014 at 8:33:59 am

[Jiri Fiala] "Library files are largely just project files."

Exactly. And those projects etc. are assigned unique IDs by FCP for the underlying database. Basic sql protocol if you will. Within the old >10.1 system it was definitely not possible, with the new one things seem to have gotten more lenient.

The general point merely being, why risk a potential ID conflict when the functionality is there within FCP to avoid it (and is easier/faster to boot). Just a friendly heads-up.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 17, 2014 at 12:42:23 pm

Have you honestly seen this conflict? I have never seen or heard of it since the advent of Libraires. Events and Projects, yes, but not Libraries.

Google shows zero instances of this error for libraries.

I'd like to know if this is actually a problem as we dupe libraries constantly to share back and forth. Never had one conflict, and have even had two Libraires of the same name open in FCPX withiut one issue.

We have even duped open Libraires, renamed the dupe, and opened that library All with X open (this is all part of stress testing in a shared environment) and have literally had zero issues.

So, when exactly do you see this issue pop up with Libraries?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 17, 2014 at 2:27:51 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Have you honestly seen this conflict? "

Of course. Several times. Just not recently, since I know about it and don't do it anymore, otherwise I'd post a screenshot for you.

But feel free to also read about it here or here. The first two of many I get when googling.

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd like to know if this is actually a problem as we dupe libraries constantly to share back and forth."

Like I said, it would appear to have become much less of an issue with 10.1 and above, maybe even completely resolved. I don't know, but I don't care to find out the hard way. :D Whereby I'm not talking about copying to another disk for the sake of passing it on or using elsewhere. And you're obviously still free to do whatever works best for you. I just prefer to avoid potential problems and use the FCP own tools.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 17, 2014 at 3:17:33 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "But feel free to also read about it here or here. The first two of many I get when googling."

This is wholly different than duping libraries. These guys are talking about Events and Projects before Libraries, and in that case, yes Dupe IDs caused major conflicts. This is not the case with Libraries.

The first post is from Decmeber 12 2013, and the second post is from 2012. 10.1 was released on 19 December, 2013.

If you see any conflicts with Finder duping a Library, I would love to know about it, but as of right now, I think we are trouble shooting different problems for Jiri.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 17, 2014 at 3:40:47 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "10.1 was released on 19 December, 2013."

Hence what I wrote, yes.

No idea what I can say other than what I already have: do whatever is best for you, I'll do it differently. I don't even know why we're still debating it. There's nothing false about what I wrote.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 17, 2014 at 4:08:59 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "There's nothing false about what I wrote."

I am actually looking to find conflicts. I have never seen a conflict with Libraries. You say there are, and pointed to a few examples that don't apply to the 10.1 update. Not that the information is false, but the information doesn't pertain to anything in this post, unless Jiri is using 10.0.9.

I'm trying to find experience in conflicts with 10.1 as it effects our work. Sometimes, it's not feasible to use FCPX to make a new library with multiple users, and it is much easier to simply dupe in the Finder. IF X allowed mounting of read only Libraries, then yes, we could use FCPX for everything, but right now, we can't.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:48:55 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:59:19 am

To be sure, I asked Apple. And yes, there "should be no more problems with the unique ID’s as with pre-10.1 versions." So you're right, that part wouldn't play into this.

But again, I personally still wouldn't do the managing via the Finder, only through FCP itself to avoid exactly these kinds of problems. That was ultimately my only and actual point. To each his own.

- RK

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Oct 16, 2014 at 4:50:04 pm

Yes. The issue is definitely on my part. I am used to do these things manually (and I have no issues with that except this Proxy thing), coming from older FCP and Premiere.

It would be nice though to be able just to point to a folder with Proxy files manually. FCPX IS slowly giving us more control and more options for different workflows.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 16, 2014 at 4:52:32 pm

[Jiri Fiala] "It would be nice though to be able just to point to a folder with Proxy files manually."

Yes, I, too, am hoping (and thinking) that will come with an update. Meanwhile: http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html ;)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 16, 2014 at 7:48:53 am

[Jiri Fiala] "I then copy all the media (including the Proxy files in "Final Cut Proxy Media" folder created by FCPX) to another drive (Drive B) that I want to edit from on another computer."

Dare I presume you did all this in the Finder? In which case that's a big no-no. All media management should be done from within FCP X, in which case problems like that don't arise. So no, it's not in fact an issue with FCP X. It's more a PEBCAK. ;)

There is no "Move/Copy Library" command, but you can select "Move/Copy Event" and create a new library for it where you want everything to end up and elect to include proxies. OR you simply consolidate the media INTO or OUT of the original library first before copying, as Jeremy pointed out, and copy in in the Finder then. Both will give you want you are looking for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]