FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I playout my timeline to DVD player in realtime FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitchell Huie
How do I playout my timeline to DVD player in realtime FCPX
on Oct 15, 2014 at 1:01:13 pm

Hello, so here's my scenario. I'm running FCPX 10.1.3 and using a Canopus ADVC 110 Box. I have a 7 hour timeline. I'm trying to playout in realtime to my Panasonic DVD player/recorder so I can fit all 7 hours onto 1 DVD ( quality isn't really a big deal with this project )

I capture all the video using the Canopus box so all the clips are DV 720x480. My sequence settings are NTSC 720x480 anamorphic. I know this can be done in FCE 4 as I have done it before. Sometimes in FCE 4 i have to go to VIDEO OUT -> Firewire NTSC before the video shows up to the DVD player. In FCPX i see a A/V output but it is grey out.. Does anyone how how i can get this A/V output working and if i do will I be able to playout properly?

( ps.. I have tried compressing in compressor and even on the lowest settings( 2mbps) the DVD is too large.. I can split the video onto 2 discs but I just want to know if i can playout from FCPX to the DVD player )

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: How do I playout my timeline to DVD player in realtime FCPX
on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:20:22 pm

[Mitchell Huie] "I capture all the video using the Canopus box"

With FCP X? Is there even FCP X a driver/plugin available for it?

[Mitchell Huie] "In FCPX i see a A/V output but it is grey out."

Without a driver/plugin there's no way FCP can or will see it as an output option.

Return to posts index

Mitchell Huie
on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:33:20 pm

Yes with FCPX and no there's no drivers/plugin. It's a plug and play unit. It shows up on the Import menu like a camera.

it's weird because FCE 4 can do it on an old imac from 2007

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 15, 2014 at 4:01:07 pm

Your 7-hour video would fit on a single DVD using DVDSP, if you used dual-layer media. Just saying. of course that requires a dual-layer capable burner, as well.

We use an application called Media Express to ingest DV and standard def sources off of archival tape formats into the imac, then log and transfer into FCPX from there. Media Express will play out of our imacs to a deck (or in your case, standard-def DVD recorder) in realtime.

That app comes bundled with blackmagic Design's break-out box. I don't know that you can buy it separately, but there are other such apps out there for recording and playing files out, without needing the FCP or FCPX timeline directly.

Have you tried using something like VLC to see if your ADVC box can play out from there?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 15, 2014 at 9:44:18 pm

FCPX only supports firewire ingest, not export and even the ingest is a bit of an afterthought. Firewire is pretty much dead and gone as far as Apple are concerned these days. In FCPX you'll need a more modern equivalent of the ADVC box to do import/playout. Something like the Black Magic Intensity that has analogue I/O.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]