FORUMS: list search recent posts

leave in place import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
leave in place import
on Oct 12, 2014 at 6:50:56 pm

I have one date's media (three cam shoot) in one event in one library that I
'left in place' rather than my usual unmanaged (linked) import. Every time I load the project I have to reimport this media. It shows up almost immediately and I'm good to go.

Is this normal behavior? Are any edits lost using this option?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: leave in place import
on Oct 12, 2014 at 8:51:46 pm

Leave in place and unmanaged are the same thing. Neither is bringing them into the managed library. Where did you leave them in place? You need to figure out why their path is getting lost. You're not losing any edits but I'm sure it's getting annoying.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 12, 2014 at 10:09:12 pm

Try trashing the alias files in the Event.

You have to "Show Package Contents" on the Library, then find the event folder, find the original media folder, and then trash the correct files that pertain to your media. Then reimport.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 12, 2014 at 10:13:32 pm

Well on the other events within this library I have elected a different folder than the library to hold the media thus in the library there are links to this other folder. When I chose leave in place (the original card copy) in the import window, there are no links in the library thus the problem. Maybe it would work if i wasn't using a different folder for the media for the others.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 12, 2014 at 11:05:52 pm

[Craig Alan] "Well on the other events within this library I have elected a different folder than the library to hold the media thus in the library there are links to this other folder."

Can you explain this a little more, please? Maybe a screen grab?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 12, 2014 at 11:19:03 pm

select library>
storage location>
modify setting>
navigate to folders for media/ render/ backups.

When I then imported my copies of P2 media cards, the media was saved in the media folder and the library contained aliases linking to the media folder. So I now had imported but unmanaged media and a copy of the original P2 cards.

However, the drive began to get full.

So on I the last import, I selected "leave in place."

No aliases were saved in either the media folder or the library. Reimport takes a split second or two.
But needs to be done at every open library.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 12, 2014 at 11:47:40 pm

So essentially "leave in place" is you telling X to create symlinks that refer to the original P2 cards. That's the original "place" where the footage is stored. The delay you're experiencing is your computer reading in the card directory structure when it's mounted so that X can then "see" the locations on the P2 cards where it expects the media to be. So it makes perfect sense. It's also frighteningly dangerous to me that you might be working with your camera masters as the only bucket containing the entire original media files. You're one static discharge away from total disaster. If I were you. I'd run out and buy one (or better two!) cheap external hard drives, and make FCP X Camera Archives of every card you have IMMEDIATELY.
Working from just one digital file without a backup is nuts.
My 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 13, 2014 at 12:34:17 am

Thanks Bill, I know all this. And have preached it a million times. I have the entire project on my pegasus raid at work. I need to review the footage at home for preproduction prep reasons. And I ran out of space. Working on a remedy. Namely a usb 3 card for the Mac Pro at home so I can take a thunderbolt/usb 3 drive back and forth on projects I need both places. Leaving a copy at one location in case of disaster.

The latest version of FC is able to read the P2 cards without transcoding first, thus being able to leave in place.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2014 at 1:55:29 am

[Craig Alan] "The latest version of FC is able to read the P2 cards without transcoding first, thus being able to leave in place.
"

Unless you are working with a beta version that isn't released to the public, FCPX 10.1.3 must rewrap P2 op-atom MXF to .mov.

This means that FCPX will create a .mov version of your media somewhere. The default location is in the library on the initial import. The "leave in place" option is greyed out during p2 import.

Again, I would consolidate the media out of whatever library it's in so that you can access it from multiple libraries.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 13, 2014 at 8:32:19 am

[Craig Alan] "The latest version of FC is able to read the P2 cards without transcoding first"

I don't see how you could be "leaving in place" when coming from a camera, card or archive, since that option is or at least SHOULD be greyed out for imho obvious reasons. You obviously don't want to be (and again, shouldn't be able to) working of the card itself. And yes, Jeremy is right, that FCP will rewrap and therefore first have to copy the media somewhere either way. So a few things aren't making sense.

And if the directory of the files isn't in fact changing between restarts of FCP, then I don't understand why the files should be going offline either, no.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 13, 2014 at 1:55:30 pm

Yeah. Weird behavior. Could my choosing different options for media/render/Back-ups within the same event just not have been anticipated by FC design?

I can't find anywhere that transcoded files are being kept from this import, FC did let me 'leave in place' and the media is playable within FC. When I quit and reopen, the files are off line. Not making this up. A new import of the same media is super fast. More like a relink. P2 files are read by FC without any transcode as of the last update. Fantastic improvement for anyone with a P2 cam. You can review and import just the clips you want, rename them, etc.

I found some spare drives to clean up old projects off my internal system raid. I'll transfer this project to it. I'll also get a usb 3 card so I can travel with a thunderbolt/usb 3 drive to and from work.

Keep reading different advice on usb 3 drives for media drives. By even if its just to copy libraries it will help cause firewire seems very slow by comparison.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2014 at 2:49:33 pm

[Craig Alan] "Yeah. Weird behavior. Could my choosing different options for media/render/Back-ups within the same event just not have been anticipated by FC design?
"

Those settings are Library based, not Event based.

[Craig Alan] "I can't find anywhere that transcoded files are being kept from this import, FC did let me 'leave in place' and the media is playable within FC. When I quit and reopen, the files are off line. Not making this up. A new import of the same media is super fast. More like a relink. P2 files are read by FC without any transcode as of the last update. Fantastic improvement for anyone with a P2 cam. You can review and import just the clips you want, rename them, etc. "

I believe you that you aren't making this up, but there seems to be something else going on. This is the import window for P2 footage for me. Notice the greyed out "Leave in place":

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:43:55 pm

interesting. mine has not been greyed out. that said an over full firewire drive is not cutting it. So I'm biting the bullet and cleaning house to make room on the internal 3 drive raid.

I'll start the whole project fresh just saving the P2 copies and the media that imported into "original media".

I'll do the usual maintenance by trashing preferences upon start up etc. My fault for just grabbing an old drive for a project with this much media. I needed to prepare for production this evening and cut the wrong corners. Man modern media with the need to back up the cards and have an on-line original media transcoded copy - thus a total of at least three copies - takes up a lot of space.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:49:12 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:51:40 pm

I am at work now and on a different and non troubled set-up, do not have 'leave in place' greyed out. But I am working with a finder copy of the P2 card. Could that be the difference?

I create a labeled folder in the finder and drag the entire P2 card contents into it to make a copy. Then I import that into a FC event.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 13, 2014 at 5:20:25 pm

[Craig Alan] "I am at work now and on a different and non troubled set-up, do not have 'leave in place' greyed out. But I am working with a finder copy of the P2 card. Could that be the difference?"

Yes, it will be. The leave in place is only greyed out if coming directly from a card or camera or archive. You'll simply want to COPY everything to a predefined directory instead. After that I would suspect it should be fine. No idea what's going on exactly without sitting in front of it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:51:53 am

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/specs/

Native editing4 support for:

Panasonic AVC-Intra, including AVC-Intra 100 and AVC-Intra 50

I'm shooting in AVC-Intra 100. And the import window sees and reads the camera card files and my copy of them, before after and during my problem with one events media going off line.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:48:31 am

I meant to write "You'll simply want FCP X to COPY everything to a predefined directory instead upon import" btw. Not do it in the Finder yourself.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2014 at 3:50:36 pm

[Craig Alan] "Native editing4 support for:"

That means you don't have to install a 3rd party importer to being in the footage. It doesn't mean it uses the MXF files natively.

Here's an AVC-I file, same greyed out functionality:

Once you relink the file, right click and choose "reveal in Finder". Where does the file show up?

The only thing I can think that happened is that you stopped the importing process before the rewrap was finished, and FCPX didn't fully bring in the file, and therefore is incomplete. I also don't quite understand where the media is located with your Libraries, and screen grabs would help there, if you can.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:48:47 am

Well it's too late for that idea though I think it would just link back to the original P2 folder where I copied the card's content.

Here's what I just learned:

If I open the import window and select a folder (which contains a copy of a media card's content), "leave in place" is not greyed out and it does import the clips into the event. However, if I open the folder up revealing the card's components: "contents" and "last clip.txt" then leave in place is greyed out.

I usually use the folder I create, "media" or "original media" as the destination for the import. Until the other day when I chose 'leave in place' to save space.

The other thing I've noticed is that when I copy the contents of one of these folders back onto a P2 card the camera will display an error message but then open the card and play it fine.

The advantage I find of copying these cards into labeled folders is they then import into FC with the folder's name as meta data. And the labeled folders are a lot easier to identify in the finder as well.

Tomorrow I'll do an experiment and try a 'leave in place' and then do a 'reveal in finder' from a clip in the event. Should prove interesting. I will also try to apply an edit to one of these clips and see if the edit is saved.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 15, 2014 at 12:47:46 pm

[Craig Alan] "Well it's too late for that idea "

Why is it too late? The media exists somewhere, so let's find out where.

You don't have any MXF components installed like MXF4mac or Calibrated, do you?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2014 at 12:06:55 am

No matter what, X rewraps p2 media to .mov.

I would consolidate the media out of the first library so that you have access to it in multiple libraries.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]