FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trash

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Trash
on Oct 12, 2014 at 4:06:33 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:56:50 am

When FCPX says "move to trash" does it actually move it to a trash can somewhere or delete it forever?

Kind of interesting. FCPX has some kind of cache of used clips in the actual project? Where does it actually store this stuff?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Trash
on Oct 12, 2014 at 4:21:43 pm

It's literal. Meaning the FINDER trash.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 12, 2014 at 6:23:54 pm

When I trash a project it does not go to the Finder trash. Where does it go?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 12, 2014 at 7:00:38 pm

I just created a new project in a library. I called it test and then moved to trash. I opened the finder's trash and it was not in there. So where is it?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Oct 12, 2014 at 5:18:00 pm

I've always wished that NLE devs would use Quantel's term; "CRF" - Cutting Room Floor. Felt like the hanging bins were just outside the room.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 12, 2014 at 5:38:03 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "I've always wished that NLE devs would use Quantel's term; "CRF" - Cutting Room Floor."

Only that that would be factually incorrect in context and not the least be useful. I find it far more helpful to point to the fact that, if needed, you still have the option to restore deleted files from said trash, as opposed to some meaningless abbreviation/metaphor.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Oct 12, 2014 at 9:43:52 pm

Meaningless? Ummm, ok. Never mind.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 13, 2014 at 3:48:48 am

[James Ewart] "When FCPX says "move to trash" does it actually move it to a trash can somewhere or delete it forever?"

Anything "moved to trash" goes into a trash folder in the Library package. It stay there (available if you hit undo) until you close the project. Then the folder, and its content, is deleted.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 13, 2014 at 5:47:26 am

Gotcha thank you.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 13, 2014 at 8:22:28 am

[Charlie Austin] "Anything "moved to trash" goes into a trash folder in the Library package. It stay there (available if you hit undo) until you close the project. "

Though I admit that they clearly have made some big changes to how this works that I hadn't even noticed yet (hence my above claim which in fact used to be the case), I'm not seeing any such "Trash folder" or any of the other behaviour you describe. In fact after trying this and that I can't even seem to figure out what it IS in fact doing and when. Nothing I delete is in actually disappearing from within my library. Restart or not. Which doesn't strike me as the right behaviour in any case. Even deleting the master clip in the event isn't met with a dialog box, nor is the clip in the project being subsequently deleted either as it used to. Match framing the clip in the project makes the clip reappear in the event and other oddities. Hmmm... I'll have to investigate... my curiosity is peaked.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 13, 2014 at 8:45:30 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I'm not seeing any such "Trash folder" or any of the other behaviour you describe. In fact after trying this and that I can't even seem to figure out what it IS in fact doing and when. Nothing I delete is in actually disappearing from within my library."

It's in the Library package, not in the app, and works as described.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Even deleting the master clip in the event isn't met with a dialog box, nor is the clip in the project being subsequently deleted either as it used to. Match framing the clip in the project makes the clip reappear in the event and other oddities."

That's the expected behavior, X now works like 7 or Pr in that deleting a master clip in an event does not delete it from projects in which it is used. If you delete a clip from the browser, and then delete it from a project (if it's the last instance of the clip in the Library) you will get a confirmation dialog.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:50:36 am

Does Match Framing/Reveal in Event Browser resurrect the entire clip of just the part of the original clip used in the project?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:53:03 am

[James Ewart] "Does Match Framing/Reveal in Event Browser resurrect the entire clip of just the part of the original clip used in the project?"

I'm just guessing here, but I'd imagine it's the whole clip, since X doesn't do subclips or anything. Try it and see, :-)

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 14, 2014 at 9:01:00 am

Thanks I will.

Wonder where it stores this stuff ? Is there some secret hidden cache of files somewhere?

Kind of a useful workflow for tidying up and deleting unused media. Just trash all the clips.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
Re: Trash update
on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:32:44 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 14, 2014 at 10:33:12 am

So yes the whole clip, not just the selection is restored in the browser when you hit Shift F.

As for the temporary trash file, that only seems to appear when you trash a project but not a clip.

When you trash a clip I have no idea where it goes. I assume the original media in a managed library goes with it and it just "disappears" altogether when you quit FCPX.

So it is a mystery where the files that get restored when you hit Shift F are stored.

Or is it?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 14, 2014 at 11:03:18 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 14, 2014 at 11:06:36 am

[Charlie Austin] "It's in the Library package"

Like I said: nope.

[Charlie Austin] "That's the expected behavior, X now works like 7 or Pr in that deleting a master clip in an event does not delete it from projects in which it is used. If you delete a clip from the browser, and then delete it from a project (if it's the last instance of the clip in the Library) you will get a confirmation dialog."

Exactly. And I was expecting exactly that, only I wasn't seeing it. Which is why I was confused. BUT... I actually have to redact my last post also, because only now did I realise that I was working with footage that was also in another Event. Which is why it wasn't in fact trashed as expected. Duh! My bad.

So, yes, it's in fact just as I said originally and am now seeing it when working with a completely "autonomous" event. Deleting every instance of a clip from your event(s) AND project(s) will in fact move it to THE FINDER trash. I have yet to see or hear of a library trash when it comes to clips.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 14, 2014 at 11:18:35 am

The trash folder is there when you 'Show Package Contents' but only when you delete a project. And only whilst the project is still open. Disappears when you quit or close project.

Deleted clips do go in the trash ... got that now.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 14, 2014 at 12:51:22 pm

[James Ewart] "but only when you delete a project."

Yes, like I said, only in the case of projects. Not clips. They go to the Finder trash. I simply assumed we were talking specifically about clips going by your initial question. Oh well... at least it's all cleared up now.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 14, 2014 at 3:09:33 pm

What still puzzles me is that you can delete the clips and then empty the trash and yet FCPX still has the ability to resurrect those clips used in a project/timeline with Shift F.

So where are these files stored? Is there a secret cache somewhere?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 14, 2014 at 3:54:13 pm

No, it can't. Like I said, I was inadvertently doing it with clips that were also being used in another event, which is why they were in fact never actually trashed. Hence my initial confusion. I wasn't even seeing the dialog box.

And again, like I said before, once you trash BOTH instances, that is the clip in the event AND the clip in the timeline (or the one in the timeline first, then the one in the event... whichever) with ⌘-DELETE, obviously, then even a match frame won't bring it back. If you're able to match frame, then you clearly haven't deleted it from the timeline.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 15, 2014 at 7:12:15 am

Absolutely right. But when it is deleted from the browser and the trash has been emptied the clip still exists in the timeline, so it hasn't actually been deleted at all.

Which leads me to thinking where actually is it?

And also what a great way of deleting unused media to clear up storage space.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 15, 2014 at 8:18:35 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 15, 2014 at 8:36:45 am

[James Ewart] "when it is deleted from the browser and the trash has been emptied the clip still exists in the timeline"

As I've already stated (twice) that if you have an instance left in the timeline then the clip is not moved to the trash. You are merely deleting the clips reference (or alias or whatever you want to call it) in the event. The exact same thing as in FCP 7 btw. Therefore there can also not be anything that could be "emptied".

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 15, 2014 at 8:24:53 am

Thank you for that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]