FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correcting Sync'd Clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
Color Correcting Sync'd Clips
on Oct 10, 2014 at 5:33:11 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me the best practice for color correcting a sync'd clip? Should I open the sync'd clip and correct each individual clip? Or correct the full sync'd clip? (Provided they are all the same shot). It seems like when I open the sync'd clip in the timeline and grade each one, somehow I lose that work. Not sure what's going on or if I'm doing something wrong. Thx!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Color Correcting Sync'd Clips
on Oct 10, 2014 at 6:21:11 pm

Question is: why would you even have multiple clips in a synced clip to begin with??

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Oct 10, 2014 at 6:49:33 pm

Hi Robin,

For interview pieces, I typically have one audio track and multiple video tracks as a result of starting and stopping the camera.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 6:51:38 pm

You know that's called a "Multicam", no? :-D

Something where you can do a color correction on a clip by clip basis in the master btw.

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Oct 10, 2014 at 6:59:08 pm

So, even though it's relatively the same shot, you would use multi cam? I typically use multi cam if it's multiple cameras and sync footage if it's the same camera. Here's my timeline...

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 7:05:30 pm

Well, if it's the same shot/camera probably not, no. But that doesn't in fact look like the same shot/camera, so yes, probably maybe.

Or you can simply use as is and simply correct one shot and paste the correction to the other instances. But I might even make three separate clips from them, too, and edit them and paste the attributes as needed. Who knows. There are many roads leading to Rome. It's up to you to figure out what works best. You're the one in front of it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Oct 10, 2014 at 7:09:04 pm

Thanks for the input, Robin. I wanted to confirm if I was doing something wrong. Because...as I said...the corrections disappear when I go back into the clip. Perhaps it's a bug in FCP.

I've found I can tweak audio in both the indiv clips and the big sync'd clip if I have lower audio issues. Can bring it up in both. Not sure if many folks do that.

Thx again.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 10, 2014 at 11:51:03 pm

How were those shots created? Were you running separate audio continuously and stopping and starting the camera to reframe? Be much better to just keep rolling as you change camera position/lens setting. Anyways- if these are all shots from the same moment of action and they all match the audio, you should be able to use a Multicam clip instead of a synced clip.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 11, 2014 at 8:59:18 am

Yepp. And if you fill in the camera name/angle metadata fields accordingly (whether it was a one or two camera shoot), FCP will even create single track camera angles with the appropriate gaps from your start/stops. And again, you can cc them as needed. So I'd say the multicam route would be the better one. Aside from also being able to easily change the angles (assuming there are overlapping angles) with the number keys in the project directly, WITHOUT having to dive into the clips timeline.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Oct 11, 2014 at 2:05:54 pm

I'd say you should use the "synchronize clip" function, since there are not multiple angles, simply audio synchronization.

This should give you a single clip with the separate video clips alligned to the continuous audio track.

As for the color correcting, yes, you can make one adjustment and copy and paste the color attribute to all of the clips. I would step inside the synchronized clip (control-click the synchronized clip and select "open in timeline") and add a color correction layer that extends over the entire clip.

Ripple has a free one.
http://www.rippletraining.com/using-the-adjustment-layer-title-in-final-cut...

It's basically a blank title track that you connect and extend over all your video clips. When you apply a color effect to this, it affects everything under it.

This way, by editing the synchronized clip into your timeline, you can easily step back into it to make any color adjustments, then step back out and see that every instance of that clip in your timeline had the new adjustment.

There are many ways to Rome, but why walk when you can jet ski?

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 11, 2014 at 3:09:28 pm

[Mark Morache] "This should give you a single clip with the separate video clips alligned to the continuous audio track."

How is that different to what you would get with a multicam clip?

[Mark Morache] "and add a color correction layer that extends over the entire clip."

Question is if the same correction is needed for every clip i.e. can be used for all of them.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Oct 11, 2014 at 3:24:40 pm

If you're simply trying to synchronize an externally recorded audio track with corresponding video clip(s) shot from a single camera, then I would always use the Synchronize clips function.

For example, with the workflow I suggested, you can easily add an adjustment layer inside the synchronized clip that will affect all of your clips. You can't do this inside a multi cam clip, since multi cam clips can't have connected clips. Multicam is designed for synching multiple video and audio tracks and allowing you to very easily execute camera switching.

The Synchronized clip is basically a compound clip with all of your elements synched up.

Can you use the multi cam function to synchronize shots from a single camera and externally recorded audio? Absolutely, however Jeff's original question regarded applying a single color correction across a whole set of clips, and I'd use the synchronize clips function, and add an adjustment clip inside the synched clip to do that. It works slick as snot!

---------

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 22, 2014 at 3:50:47 am

Mark, how do you adjust color on a blank track? How do you monitor what effect this gives your images? Or are you seeing the layers below by setting opacity? Can you then set a different correction on a clip by clip basis? Fine tuning whatever you set globally?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Oct 22, 2014 at 5:02:25 am

Not actually a blank clip. It's an adjustment layer. See a previous reply for a link you can download.

Basically it's a text clip from motion, with no text. When you connect this over a series of other clips, and apply an effect to the connected adjustment clip, everything underneath has the effect applied.

It can be quite handy, although if you're going to tweak each clip anyway, the blanket effect may be pointless.

---------

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]