FORUMS: list search recent posts

Further Multicam issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Further Multicam issues
on Oct 10, 2014 at 2:48:39 pm

Having aborted my clever trick for slipping stuff into sync in the Multicam timeline I am now left with a couple of annoying things. They are showing up as actual edits in the timeline (see example) which means I can now not do roll edits at these points. And I cannot figure out a way of deleting the offending section and filling in the gap with sync footage from a default camera that is in sync. Not having sync markers is making it harder to figure.

Any wisdom on this matter much appreciated. At the moment I am doing it by ear and I'm "getting away with it" but I would prefer seamless and perfect.

Thanking you and have a good weekend all.

James

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Further Multicam issues
on Oct 10, 2014 at 7:57:06 pm

James,

I think where you're getting messed up is in thinking of the Multicam area in X as an EDITING area rather than as a synchronization area. While it's possible to "cut" things in it, when you're working with a fixed time keeper like a music track, I'd leave it for primary content synchronization and I'd NEVER bring in an element that has a different timebase. (Which is what another performance is, by definition.)

Just sync the performance in multicam. Open the resulting multi clip on it's Primary. And then add whatever clips you have as B-roll from other performances as connected clips. If you need to chop them up for timing, you can do that and use non-time synced cutaways to cover any glitches.

The multicam area is NOT just another storyline for editing to my mind. It's a special area for doing one job - multicam. So that's where I leave it.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
Re: Further Multicam issues
on Oct 11, 2014 at 6:44:04 am

Thanks Bill,

I hear you.

I have B roll from other performances of the same song that I have synched manually to give me extra options in the angle editor and for the first 30 seconds it's all cool, but of course there is inevitable drift so I thought (as I am not actually using the audio from those angle and they are deselected in the Inspector) I could sneakily slip them back into sync.

But clearly it creates problems. I guess it makes the rest of the piece move relative to that shot in it's entirety or something. And then it's not so easy to undo those problems.

I miss sync markers!

In the angle editor I can blade the section I want to use and slip it back into sync there.

cheers

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]