FORUMS: list search recent posts

synchronise clips back ground

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre van Berlo
synchronise clips back ground
on Oct 10, 2014 at 6:40:39 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry as I've posted this question once before but without a response and I haven't been able to find an answer on the net so I thought I'd ask it again here:

Before 10.1.2/3 I could select a group of clips and click synchronize, while it was synchronizing in the background I could select another group and click to synchronize that. I would do that for a large number of cli groups.

Since 10.1.2/3 I can only synchronize one group at a time and fcpx is on hold until It is finished synchronizing. Not very practical, at least not within my workflow.

question: is there a setting i missed or is this the new fcpx?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: synchronise clips back ground
on Oct 10, 2014 at 8:59:48 am

Synchronising has never been a background task. The progress has always been displayed via a foreground progress bar. Only things such as analysis', transcoding and rendering are BG tasks.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 10, 2014 at 9:02:48 am

Actually that is not true, I've done this a hundred times where I could do it as described above. check this video, this is how it used to go:

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 9:15:15 am

Well, aside from that being such a short clip he's using that it went so fast no progress bar was probably even needed, I never recall seeing it work that way. Maybe I simply never synched anything when it did, which therefore must have been a VERY early version. But then creating the clip BEFORE it is factually synched doesn't make any sense to me either, so maybe that is why they changed it, if they in fact did. Either way, it's not a setting, it's how it currently works, yes.

If you need a lot of batching like that, then you might consider looking at Plural Eyes. And sending a request to Apple.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 10, 2014 at 9:31:35 am

Thanks for the reply, yes it is a short clip but I used to do this with dozens of groups at the same time. After I had everything set I could work on other things while it all synced in the back ground. Good to know that I 'm not overseeing anything and will definitely send a message to apple.

looking at plural eyes and that definitely looks promising!

I think the syncing changed with the library changes around 10.1. I didn't notice until I upgraded till 10.2 as I was working on so many projects that I kept my old version of 10.0.9 for some time.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 9:48:08 am

But then synching will rarely take any longer than maybe a few seconds, if even (at least here), so is it really that much of a hindrance? The time it takes me to regather my thoughts and figure out my next step will take longer. I recently synched up some 300+ clips for a feature and it never struck me as inefficient, hindering or slow. But then maybe that's just me...

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 10, 2014 at 10:35:58 am
Last Edited By Andre van Berlo on Oct 10, 2014 at 10:42:57 am

Perhaps it depends which kind of media that is used? I usually sync several audio files + 3-5 cams, cliplength 10 minutes. When I have many groups to do I would start syncing the groups and then when I'm finished giving fcpx the tasks I could start editing on the first clips as at that point they're synced already.

Syncing doesn't take that long indeed but, but I like to keep going instead of waiting and with the bigger projects time adds up quickly

[edit] perhaps because I do a lot of the same stuff I'm kind of on auto-mode with particular projects.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 10:51:56 am

[Andre van Berlo] "I usually sync several audio files + 3-5 cams"

You realise of course that you're describing a MULTICAM, not a synchronised clip, right?

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 10, 2014 at 11:00:58 am

Yes it is a multicam but I use the sync feature as in the video I'm having all cameras at the same time. Something like a picture in picture. So you'll see all 4 cams at the same time. Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with multicam but I always thought that you can have only 1 cam in picture

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 11:08:09 am

[Andre van Berlo] "Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with multicam but I always thought that you can have only 1 cam in picture"

Yes. But then there's also this:

But whether that's (more) pratical for what you are doing only you can decide.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 10, 2014 at 11:17:51 am

Ha, I missed that episode clearly, thanks for showing me! I must say though that when I sync my videos and turn the synced clip into a compoundclip I can do the same things with it. The great thing is that I can then composite the clips inside the compound clip and when I'm done do the actual editing on the compound clip giving me a very simple timeline. On top of that I have several layers of audio that I need to export as well, not sure how many audio layers you can have "on" simultaneously.

But If I'm interpreting the use of plural eyes correctly that could help a lot in syncing my shoots.

Also thank you for taking the time to look into this!

André

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 1:17:49 pm

[Andre van Berlo] "when I sync my videos and turn the synced clip into a compoundclip"

Why would you want/need to do that? The synced clip already is a compound clip (sans the icon) that you can open with the "Open in Timeline" command. What am I missing?

But I'd say that both workflows pretty much work out to the exact same thing, only the types of clips are different. But I also suspect, if I'm understanding it correctly, that the multicam workflow would involve far fewer steps.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 10, 2014 at 2:10:29 pm

Wow, don't know... Must be something left over from the early days of fcpx, good to know i dont need the extra step. I'll also try the new approach with multicam, thanks!

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 10, 2014 at 2:23:49 pm

I came accros this from larry jordan, dont know if you could use synced clips like this: http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-compound-clip/

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 2:38:25 pm

[Andre van Berlo] "dont know if you could use synced clips like this"

Sure. Why not. But that is also references the much older version of FCP, so only applicable to a degree. And it's hard to say if that still makes as much sense as it used to, seeing that compounds are different overall now in comparison. Something one would simply have to try and find out.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 14, 2014 at 9:17:59 am

"The synced clip already is a compound clip (sans the icon) that you can open with the "Open in Timeline" command. What am I missing?"

Wanted to update a little,

I've been working in my latest project with the synchronised clips instead of compound clips to see if they're indeed the same but they do behave different in several ways. When I've edited the synced clip in the timeline and decide after the fact I'd like to have a generator inside the clip I have to do that for each of the cuts where as with a compound clip I can just add it to one of the cuts and it'll become visible in all the other cuts as well. (kind of hard to explain)

After syncing I usually add other stuff like images and generators to the compound clips, how easy that works is different from synced clips.

Another thing (tiny) is that you have to right click a synced clip while a compound clip can be double clicked to open in the timeline.

I think there are a few other differences too.

Next I'll check the workflow with the multicam clips but for what I do I'm guessing it'll not necessarily be an improvement. (though I might be wrong)

Plural eyes trial is working very nicely by the way, that works super fast, thanks for mentioning it!

André

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 14, 2014 at 11:29:49 am

[Andre van Berlo] "where as with a compound clip I can just add it to one of the cuts and it'll become visible in all the other cuts as well. (kind of hard to explain)"

Yes, that's to be expected. Works the same way with multicam clips also. You are always working inside the MASTER clip with both, there are no separate, autonomous instances as with synced clips or even regular clips for that matter.

But I wouldn't put a generator INSIDE a compound to begin with, especially if you expect to need different ones for different instances. It would be much easier to simply use a different generator etc. in the project. But if you insist on doing it that way, then you can simply duplicate the compound in the event and use that, or duplicate it in the project and select "Reference new master clip" from the Clip menu. That will create the dupe in the event for you and place it in the timeline in which you can change the generator or whatever without affecting the others.

[Andre van Berlo] "you have to right click a synced clip while a compound clip can be double clicked to open in the timeline."

In fact simply clicking the little icon at the top left of the compound in the timeline ONCE will open it.

[Andre van Berlo] "I'm guessing it'll not necessarily be an improvement."

If you do the same as you have till now, probably not. But if you adjust things accordingly (such as what I described) it very well should. It will give you much more to work with on a metadata level also.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 14, 2014 at 11:51:05 am

Thanks Robin for your reply, I'm gonna try to do my next project differently and try to implement your suggestions. What I should mention is that I edit a lot of multi camera guitar tutorials which has its own needs but I sense there is a lot more to FCPX than I currently know so going to explore some more, thanks!

André

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Oct 11, 2014 at 3:12:38 pm

By the way Andre... you know that when you create a synchronized clip, you can easily go into the audio tab in the inspector for the Synched clip and turn off your camera audio, and even select which channels of your external audio clip you want to hear.

There is no need to break apart the clips in the timeline.

I would only break apart the audio if I absolutely had to.

Cheers.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Oct 11, 2014 at 4:40:33 pm

True, that is exactly how I do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved