FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where is Consolidate OUT?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Where is Consolidate OUT?
on Oct 8, 2014 at 5:24:44 pm

Is Consolidate OUT now missing? I see 'Copy to Library' and 'Move to Library' when an Event is highlighted but the Consolidate command only offers to Consolidate IN as far as I can tell. Am I misunderstanding or has the ability to movie Library media off to another drive (but not inside another Library) gone away? I know I can Modify the settings in the Inspector for the Library but that only applies to future media imports and does't touch existing media.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Where is Consolidate OUT?
on Oct 8, 2014 at 6:43:37 pm

I haven't played with it much myself, but what happens if you modify the Library settings to an external folder and then Consolidate? Does it consolidate all the files to that media folder?

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Oct 8, 2014 at 6:49:20 pm

What happens is that you can set a destination for FUTURE imports only. It does not disturb media already ingested.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 8, 2014 at 7:49:54 pm

[Don Smith] "What happens is that you can set a destination for FUTURE imports only. It does not disturb media already ingested"

I'm not sure you tried what I suggested Don. Because I just did a quick test and it worked exactly as I suspected. Here's the step by step.

Select Library. Open inspector.
Currently this is a managed Library meaning all media is in the Library package.
Click on the Media button. Choose new location.
Click the Consolidate button. Hit OK.

FCPX will move all the media currently located in the Library to the new location, replacing that media with simlinks inside the library.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Oct 8, 2014 at 9:10:47 pm

I've long admired you for the genius you are Andy.

Weaker folk, like me, are stopped when the dialog tells you that only future imports will go to the new location. It takes a visionary like you to see beyond that and show that you can then Consolidate to the new location and have the same effect as the former Consolidate OUT.

Thank you very much for seeing further down the road.

Don Smith - NewsVideo.com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:30:31 am

[Don Smith] "as the former Consolidate OUT."

I've never seen a "consolidate out" command in X nor do I understand what it supposedly did.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Oct 9, 2014 at 9:31:52 am

It wasn't labeled Consolidate Out. It was that the Consolidate command used to have two choices to it. If you chose a location that wasn't the Library you're working in all media was moved to the new chosen location (a folder). Right now that command only gives you the option to Consolidate INTO the Library you are on.

For example you're editing along and ingesting media and you realize that your media drive is practically full. You could consolidate OUT (Consolidate > Choose a location that is not the Library you are working in) to another drive and the original media along with (if you chose to include it) the Optimized media and Proxy media and free up disc space and keep editing. Your edit would continue to see its media even though it would now be located on another drive.

That remote choice is not in the Consolidate command anymore.

I once asked a friend for directions. He pointed and said "Do you see that green building there?" I said YES! He said (with faux frustration) "I was afraid of that. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHERE YOU WANT TO GO so GET IT COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR MIND!". Funny. But I'm reminded of that joke in this situation because now, the Consolidate menu selection doesn't give you the option of an alternate location for your media. That can now be found in the new Inspector panel for the Library where you can Modify Settings and chose a new location for your media. But see where it says that only FUTURE media being brought it would go to the new location? I was afraid of that (said Andy). Get it completely out of your mind because it has nothing to do with where you want to go. :) Andy pointed out that you go ahead and choose the new location for your media but THEN to bring existing media to the new location NOW choose Consolidate from that Inspector panel or from the File menu.

Thank you ANDY!

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 9, 2014 at 9:34:54 am

Ah. Then I guess I'm a "visionary", too. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]