FORUMS: list search recent posts

photos in fcpx - duration 10 seconds? Best way to import?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
photos in fcpx - duration 10 seconds? Best way to import?
on Oct 7, 2014 at 8:24:40 pm

Hi!

Under preferences I have 2 seconds in still images editing duration. When I import the duration is 10 seconds. Why? When I use E to put it on the timeline, it is still 10 seconds. logical. How can I change this?

I use Aperture for photos. The photos are stored on an external drive, and I just wonder if I get the full resolution if I go to the camera icon in fcpx, and chooce aperture, and drag the photo folder to my project in fcpx? If not, whats the best way?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: photos in fcpx - duration 10 seconds? Best way to import?
on Oct 7, 2014 at 9:29:48 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 9, 2014 at 8:14:52 am

The preset length applies to THE DEFAULT SELECTION length. The browser will always show a 10 sec. duration no matter what you've set it to (max 10 sec btw). Actually clicking on its filmstrip will result in the preset selection duration. But whatever the subsequent length in the timeline, you can simply select any and all, hit CTRL-D and enter any value needed.

And you can easily check the resolution by selecting it in the event and looking in the info panel of the inspector.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Oct 7, 2014 at 9:48:54 pm

Ok, thanx. I thought preference was for adding To the timeline. But, as you said, it's easy to change duration (-:

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 7, 2014 at 9:54:55 pm

Admittedly, the description "Editing duration is..." is a tad misleading.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 8, 2014 at 7:17:11 am

Morton,

Be a tiny bit careful when you're doing till image import into X.

With the prevalence of today's DSLRs with large sensors, it's normal for stills to be HUGE. If you import full sized versions into X, one thing that many don't realize is that the Core Image processing always attempts to work at the full rez of the footage on the storyline, so a simple dissolve between two 22.5 megapixel stills imported into X can REALLY bog down your processing. It's simply a LOT of pixel values to calculate.

It's much better to manage your image sizes before you import them into X.

Take the raster you'll use for your export finals, and if you want to do a 2X zoom on them without losing resolution,, pre-size your images to double the resolution of the raster.

So for a 1920x1080 project, you don't need stills that are any larger than 3840x2160 pixels.

I've been on a lot of trouble shooting sessions where folks systems are bogging down, only to discover they've imported 300 full rez DSLR stills and are trying to float them around with transparency and cast shadows and they're wondering why it takes 12 hours to render the first 2 percent of their project.

Just a heads up.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 8, 2014 at 10:11:20 am

Good point, Bill.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Oct 8, 2014 at 5:41:16 pm

I just tried to import from aperture in fcpx, and it doen't come in with full res. It's the preview quality that will be imported. Sadly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]