FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still image zoom, pan, hold

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leah Sands
Still image zoom, pan, hold
on Oct 5, 2014 at 5:50:49 pm

Hi, I’m fairly new to Final Cut (I’ve used Premier previously). I am using Final Cut Pro X.

I am using a still image that is approx 4000px by 6000px. I want to start at a still crop/high scale of this image (focus on the face) and have that fill the entire screen and frame hold for 2 seconds. I then want the image to pan to the left (keeping the same scale) for 3 seconds. I then want it to zoom out and recenter the image so I see the entire 4000px by 6000px at fit.

I’ve been trying to make this work using keyframes and the crop tool but have not been successful. Any tips?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Still image zoom, pan, hold
on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:30:14 am

Two things to help you sort it out.

First, initial keyframes that you set in X default to "ease in and "ease out" so the motion paths won't be linear unless you option click on the keyframes and change the interpolation to Linear from the default Ease setting.

So you can do it the traditional way by setting TWO identical linear keyframes at each "hold" position with the duration of the freeze determined by the distance separating them.

BUT - If you LIKE the smoothness of the Ease keyframes, there's a simple path freeze technique that can make this VERY easy. Just set the keyframes for the landing places and IGNORE the fact that the picture doesn't FREEZE on that location yet. So you'll just build a smooth motion path that goes to each of the LANDING points of each move.

Then go to your storyline and at the frame where you want your hold, simply insert a freeze frame of 2 sec duration at the frame you want to hold.

Bingo. Fast and easy. With smoothing on the path, plus changeable "hold" durations at each freeze position that kinda SNAP to the freeze. I kinda like this because it makes the freezes kinda "pop" into place.

Depends on the type of movement you prefer between the holds.

Have fun.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]