FORUMS: list search recent posts

Generator rendering on export even with timeline is rendered

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon waters
Generator rendering on export even with timeline is rendered
on Oct 3, 2014 at 8:03:54 am

I have a fairly involved edit 40mins long with shoot footage, prores HQ from a ninja2 and quite a few generators I have created in Motion 5. The Generators have a photo album in a 3d space with images on the pages revealing on using cloner layers with image masks and quicktime movies in the mask wells. If I dray one of the generators onto an empty timeline and let it render then export it as timeline default (prores 422) it renders fast, as you would expect. If I place just one image in one of the drop zones then let the timeline render, when I go to export it, it re-renders. Now, I have quite a few images in this edit about 160 all up, all of them in these albums, some video as well. The timeline was completely rendered yesterday I exported master file, timeline default, in 18hours, it was at 60%. If I render the motion project it render really fast. No MB or frame blending, no real shadows.
I'm not new to FCPX I started using it from the day of release, I'm a true believer, not the born again type. So don't come at me with the basics unless I've totally over looked something.

Thanks in advance if you can shed light on this.

Jon

Swoon Video Production Auckland NZ
http://www.swoon.co.nz

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Generator rendering on export even with timeline is rendered
on Oct 4, 2014 at 11:48:12 am

After having reported this to Apple some time ago, it would appear to be a bug in the implementation of the render engine on Motion's side, if I recall correctly. They are aware of it and are sure to fix it with some future update. Until then the renders will unfortunately take an inordinate amount of time and pre-renders are not taken into consideration when exporting. Not ALWAYS though, so it must be some small setting/difference somewhere in the affected projects.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Oct 5, 2014 at 4:38:41 am

I've noticed that very large stills can take extraordinary amounts of time to render, so unless I'm doing a crazy digital zoom, I resize my stills in photoshop to get them closer to 1920x1080.

Are you using especially large stills??

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
on Oct 5, 2014 at 8:09:12 am
Last Edited By Tapio Haaja on Oct 5, 2014 at 8:09:52 am

I've also sent bug report of this to Apple. Actually this bug is not restricted only to generators. All titles, transitions and generators rerender on export if you've used dropzones in those templates. So dropzones seem to be the problem.

This is really bad especially if you've some longer projects involving long templates with graphics.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 5, 2014 at 3:38:38 pm

[Tapio Haaja] "Actually this bug is not restricted only to generators."

No, but it also doesn't effect EVERY one of those, drop zone or not. I unfortunately haven't yet figured out a pattern. There are plenty default templates that have drop zones that don't have the problem. Whether it might be DOF or motion blur effects or the likes, I'm not sure. But those are two things that FCP doesn't have itself. It's some little discrepancy somewhere that sets them apart from the rest...

Return to posts index

jon waters
on Oct 5, 2014 at 7:42:52 pm

Thanks for your replies on this. You have confirmed my suspicions that it is a bug. I've spent most of my weekend rendering out parts of the timeline where the generators are and dropping them back in. Two days I can't charge for really. This bug really takes the shine of using generators and motion for photo albums etc in an edit. Shame really cos it was working really well work flow wise, much faster than using AE.
I have to say I've never been a fan of AE for 3d, always ended up in C4D, but motion is so easy. I'm starting to do more and more in motion as I get my head around the way it works, so much different to AE, I need a faster computer though.

I've managed to crack the first few lines of code to FCPX and I've figured out how Apple are selling so many New Mac Pros.

if computer ≠ 2013 Mac Pro
then on mousedown set curser to spinning beach ball pause 5sec
End

When I get some time I'll do further tests on the gens see if I can nail down what it is, will report back.

Cheers

Swoon Video Production Auckland NZ
http://www.swoon.co.nz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]