FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing seperated audio and video tracks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Argus Ray
Editing seperated audio and video tracks
on Oct 2, 2014 at 6:18:22 pm

Hello All:

I needed to seperate the audio track from the video on the timeline due to a lip sync problem. I've pulled the audio up so I now have lip synch again. I'm making cuts on both tracks with the razor blade tool to edit.

When I hit delete to remove footage from the timeline the video moves up to fill the created gap and the entire audio track after the cut point disappears. No more sound.

Suggestions on a better solution? Thanks in advance.

Argus

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Editing seperated audio and video tracks
on Oct 2, 2014 at 6:34:53 pm

[Argus Ray] "I needed to seperate the audio track from the video on the timeline due to a lip sync problem. I've pulled the audio up so I now have lip synch again. I'm making cuts on both tracks with the razor blade tool to edit.
"

The best way to do this would be to right click the timeline clip (before you detach audio) and choose "open in timeline". You can then resync the audio within the clip(s) without detaching it. If it's an entire master clip, you can do this to the master in the browser before you cut it in. Unfortunately if you do it after it's cut I don't think it changes in the project.

In the timeline, you can make compound clips (effectively reattaching the audio) of the detached bits. This can be a hassle if there are a lot of clips, and if there are J or L audio cuts the Compound will be the length of the audio, so you'll need to expand the components and trim the video to fit into the correct amount of space.

As you've detached the audio and resynced it already, the easiest is to just use the "replace with gap" command (SHIFT-DELETE, or the Forward delete key) to delete the video but not any connected audio beneath it.

hope this helps...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 4, 2014 at 10:03:57 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 4, 2014 at 12:49:14 pm

The best way to do this would be to right click the timeline clip (before you detach audio) and choose "open in timeline". You can then resync the audio within the clip(s) without detaching it. If it's an entire master clip, you can do this to the master in the browser before you cut it in.

This is brilliant. A workflow that completely knocks on the head my final reservation with FCPX that had lingered about moving audio out of sync and then "marking in sync".

I have not seen this in any of the tutorials I have done. Damn how could I have missed this I have had put up with detaching audio and having it as a connected clip all this time.

Unfortunately if you do it after it's cut I don't think it changes in the project.

Hmm. Wonder why. I'll check this.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 4, 2014 at 7:40:10 pm

[James Ewart] "Hmm. Wonder why. I'll check this."

I think, (and have no basis for this, just a hunch) that once a clip is cut into a project it becomes "unlinked" from the master. It can reveal it, but any changes made in the project don't affect the original, and vice versa. Only compound clips deviate from this behavior. Probably a good thing, as if I slip sync on the audio in a project clip for some reason, I probably don't want it to affect the master. If it did, I could see it becoming a disaster if you weren't really careful. People have enough trouble understanding compound clips, ;-)

Globally adjusting sync (or adding an effect) is really the only reason I can see to do this and you'd likely do it before you start your cut.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 4, 2014 at 7:50:23 pm

[Charlie Austin] "choose "open in timeline". You can then resync the audio within the clip(s) without detaching it. If it's an entire master clip, you can do this to the master in the browser before you cut it in."

Also, and not sure if this is a bug or as designed... when you open a clip in it;s timeline, (master or a bit of it in a project) if you attempt to move the entire audio component(s) strange things happen. Unlike compound clips, you can't move a component beyond the clip boundary on either end. If you want to move a component you must either trim it in a bit at the ends, or in the case of a clip in a sequence, cut (blade) out the portion you wish to move before you adjust it. Try it, you'll see what I mean. Not big deal if you're aware of it. If you're not... well, it can be disconcerting when your audio component just ...disappears. Undo is your friend!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]