FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best practice for re-organizing media in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Simoneau
Best practice for re-organizing media in FCPX?
on Oct 1, 2014 at 8:47:42 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm sort of stuck in a dilemma. I'm currently using FCPX on my iMac (2013) with two external drives (WD Book FW800 + WD Book USB3.0), both 3TB.
I'm currently working on a small feature film (50mins) recorded on a Blackmagic (ProRes) and I just ran out of space on my FW800 WD. Half my footage is on the FW800 and the other half is on the USB3.0 drive. However since I started editing with the USB3.0 drive, I've noticed huge stutter in the image, can't seem to scroll freely in the timeline anymore. After doing research, I realized that USB3.0 is known to send spurts of data at high speed but not nearly as good as FW800 for consistency.

So what I decided was to archive past projects on the USB drive and use the FW800 drive as a project drive. I would invest in a real RAID system, but I just don't have the money right now. So I would like to take the time and organize my files properly. The way I have been doing it hasn't been the most organized and I admit that I should have researched more into organization of files in FCPX.

In a nutshell, I created a Film folder on my external storage device. Within this film folder, I create project folders containing everything pertinent to that project whether it would be music, photos and obviously the video footage. However after watching videos on-line, FCPX 10.1 allows you to do this with Libraries and such. I would like to archive the projects that have been completed, but I would like to have ease of access in case any mods need to be done.

My question: Would it be wise to re-arrange projects and create new Libraries with projects and all to re-organize and only then transfer all the libraries to the USB Drive for archiving? Or if you have any other suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. I also appreciate your patience reading through this whole post.

Cheers

Vinnie

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Best practice for re-organizing media in FCPX?
on Oct 2, 2014 at 10:17:16 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 2, 2014 at 10:18:28 am

I would recommend checking out the "Final Cut Library Manager" for one. This is a brilliant app that will give you a lot of useful information as to the status and locations of your media on a per library basis. http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Then also check out Mac Break Studio's video on the subject:

If something is still unclear, feel free to ask. :)

Deutsch? Check out my german language FCP X training!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 3, 2014 at 1:19:35 pm

[Vincent Simoneau] "I realized that USB3.0 is known to send spurts of data at high speed but not nearly as good as FW800 for consistency."

On this point I would check two things. Is the USB 3.0 drive a 5400 rpm drive versus the FW800 being 7200 rpm. That might account for the difference.

The other is to make sure your computer is connecting to the drive as a USB 3.0 drive and not a USB 2.0 drive. This has happened to me numerous times. The way to check is to go into the "System Report" and look at the USB section.

I don't edit off USB 3.0 drives, but I find it hard to believe the USB 3.0 interface is the itself the cause of the problems.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 3, 2014 at 8:08:30 pm

I'd agree. Even a 5200 RPM USB 3 drive is about 50 % faster than a 7200 FW800. In my tests I can get110mb/sec off the portable USB 3.0 drives and you can only hope to get 70 off a 7200 FW800. And a single 7200 USB 3 drive can give you around 170mb/sec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]